5 Easy Ways to Add Storage to Your Kid’s Room

by Dagmar Bleasdale on June 25, 2016

5 Easy Ways to Add Storage to Your Kid’s RoomLet’s just assume for a second that you don’t live in a mansion.

Like us. We live in a charming but small house without a basement that I lovingly call the Blue Cottage.

There never seems to be enough storage in a kid’s room for all the toys, collections, trophies, and clothes, right?

Let’s just assume you also have limited space to work with.

Then you’ll enjoy this post of how I maximize storage in Landon’s room.

You can’t be organized and have everything in its place if you don’t first add some storage solutions.

5 Easy Ways to Add Storage to Your Kid’s Room

1. Inexpensive, Stackable Storage Containers

017aThese inexpensive IKEA plastic storage boxes with lids are super versatile: they stack and they have casters. I keep some of L’s books and all of his flash cards in them.

2. Storage On The Door

018aThere are several ways you can utilize the space on doors: I like to hang see-through shoe organizers on the inside of the closest and fill them with little toys so you an easily find them.

I have been looking for a way to display the many medals and ribbons Landon received over the years and decided against hanging them on a big pin board because there is already enough on the walls.

I like how they are now hanging on a removable hook, with a onesie he wore when he was two years old.

091a3. TV Stand Storage

046aA TV stand that’s low to the ground can turn into the perfect toy storage under a window.

Our windows are all very low, which presents some decorating challenges, but this TV stand is perfect (and only cost me $32.)

If Landon’s LEGO collection wouldn’t be so big, I could add a bench cushion to it to create extra seating.

070a4. Extra Storage With Crates

062aI created this extra shelf by just stacking a few crates on a side table. That side table on casters was a freebie from a tag sale, and I’ve use it as a beside table for Landon before.

To add more storage, I combined it with a vintage crate and two new white crates from HomeGoods.

I want to eventually paint that yellowish table either white or orange because that yellow doesn’t work in his room that well.

I added two more of those white crates to his book shelf to break up the display of his many books.

Having four of these crates also lets me create all kind of other storage combinations in the future.

5. Storage for Tiny Toys and Collections

095aI wanted to find a solution to display Landon’s little Minecraft figurines and remembered having this frame with little compartments.

I brought it back from Germany many, many years ago with my childhood dog’s tags and other tiny thing, and now Landon’s little items found a home.

196aThis is a similar storage solution I showed you in a previous post for Landon’s car collection:

L room 5

6. Mason Jars Storage

Mason jars are such great tool for storage solutions. Since they come in all kinds of sizes, and several colors, you can find which ones work best for storing little toys and LEGOS, etc.

132aWe use mason jars in our kitchen every day — here is how — and I’m using blue mason jar on L’s desk to hold pencils and pens, drum sticks, and other little items.

108aThere you go, this is how I organize and store all of Landon’s things in his room, with these five easy ways to add storage to a kid’s room.

How do you store all of your kid’s things?

Pin for later!

5 Easy Ways to Add Storage to Your Kid’s Room

Crystal August 27, 2016 at 3:37 AM

I LOVE the way you’ve decorated this room, seriously! It’s near impossible to make the “smalls” look organized and flat out cool. Great job, and love how the storage played into the overall design.

Monica July 21, 2016 at 3:05 PM

These are all great ways of adding storage to your kids room! We have five boys and a not so big house. We need all the storage ideas we can get! I love the crates idea. Thanks for sharing #HomeMattersParty

Suzy Godfrey July 15, 2016 at 11:14 PM

This looks great and functional too! But honestly, I’m glad that my days of stepping on legos are over! lol

Ashley ~ 3 Little Greenwoods July 6, 2016 at 9:07 PM

So many awesome storage ideas! I love the Lego creations shelf and the vintage Little People airport. Thanks so much for sharing at The DIY Collective!

Crystal@WhatTreasuresAwait July 5, 2016 at 3:15 PM

His room is so cute and organized!! Wow, what a lego collection! Thanks for sharing these great tips at Welcome Home Wednesdays…so glad to have you!

Jennifer H. July 2, 2016 at 8:46 AM

Thanks for some more great storage and decorating ideas for my son’s room!!

Karen June 28, 2016 at 11:09 PM

I didn’t mean to post my comment until I had mentioned a more serious comment. In light of a recent news story regarding IKEA bureaus falling over on to small children, please make sure the tall bookshelf in your son’s room is secured to the wall, Dagmar, if you haven’t already. That news story was all I could think of when I saw his tall book case.

Dagmar Bleasdale June 30, 2016 at 1:16 AM

Yes, all big/tall IKEA furniture should be anchored to the wall – and we did that with this bookcase. I insisted on it, and my husband screwed it into the wall.

Karen June 28, 2016 at 11:04 PM

Hi Dagmar…The storage ideas are great, and I would even mention a plastic shoe organizer that hangs on the door inside the closet. There is one hanging inside each closet in my mudroom and each compartment holds mittens, gloves, hats, scarves, boot socks, etc. They can be hung in a bathroom closet to hold toiletries or in a child’s room for small toys. The clear plastic makes everything visible.

Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood June 28, 2016 at 10:45 AM

I love this! We live in a very small 2 bedroom house with little to no “extra” storage space. With 2 boys, I know that I’m going to need all of these tips!

Dagmar Bleasdale June 30, 2016 at 1:27 AM

I’m glad you are enjoying these storage ideas, Morgan!

Lauren @ Mom Home Guide June 26, 2016 at 9:46 PM

I love your beautifully organized kid’s room! My kids rooms were never that organized when they were that small! (My kids are now teens.) But, I have been in love with crate storage recently. I recently made each of my daughters a simple crate bookcase by screwing some crates together! Thanks for linking up at Motivation Monday on Mom Home Guide!

Dagmar Bleasdale June 30, 2016 at 1:29 AM

Crate are the best – so versatile. Thanks for coming by, Lauren!