11 Easy DIY Advent Calendar Ideas

by Dagmar Bleasdale on November 18, 2011

DIY advent calendar ideas, DagmarBleasdale.com

When I was a child, my mother would fill an advent calendar house that had 24 little boxes — we open our gifts on the 24th in Germany — and my brother and I would take turns to open the little doors and gifts until Christmas.

It made waiting for the “Weihnachtsman” a little easier.

I love the advent calendar tradition, and last year we had a cute Playmobil advent calendar for Landon, but this year I wanted to make one for him.

If you are in the mood to make your own advent calendar, here are 11 super cute ones.

11 Easy DIY Advent Calendar Ideas

Advent Calendar Made With Baby Socks

So all those orphaned socks will finally come in handy! Or you could buy some new pairs at the dollar store for this adorable calendar.

DIY Shoe Organizer Advent Calendar

I already have several of these shoe organizers, so this would be easy to make. Don’t have 24 clothes pins? Get them for cheap at the dollar store.

Advent Calendar With Glass Jars

Seeing all the goodies would mean L would want to eat them all on the first day :)

Toilet Paper Rolls Advent Calendar

My recycling heart loves this one. And it doesn’t get more frugal or easy than this! But you need to finish 24 toilet paper rolls first, ha! I wouldn’t sow the bottom — I’d just use a stapler.

Advent Calendar Made Out Of Paper Tags And Ribbon

Another easy, DIY advent calendar. I have many small Christmas ornaments I could use for this one.

DIY Advent Calendar For Scrapbooking Lovers

This advent calendar certainly takes more time but makes such an impact. Maybe the kids can help you make it.

Super-Easy Advent Calendar For Your Little Book Lover

This is genius — just wrap the children’s books your child already owns and read him or her one a day! I’d sneak in a few new Christmas books for L.

Advent Calendar In A Frame

I’d use the little picture from those free address stickers we get sent in the mail for this calendar.

11 Easy DIY Advent Calendar Ideas{source}

Clothes Pins Wreath Advent Calendar

Well, L doesn’t drink tea, but this would also work with little notes or envelopes.

Advent Calendar Made Out Of Envelopes

I’d make this with all the mismatched envelopes that have accumulated over the years.

Paper Cone Advent Calendar

I could repurpose the extra birthday hats I have for this.

I really love the book advent calendar because it’s so easy, plus I read L a book every night.

Which one of these DIY advent calendar ideas do you like best?

DIY advent calendar ideas, DagmarBleasdale.com

Jamie December 7, 2015 at 11:55 AM

What great ideas!! I love the tea wreath. Thank you for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty

Tori Cole December 1, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Love these ideas! I will be getting one of these done tomorrow! So glad I found you on Hit Me with your best shot!

Dagmar Bleasdale December 2, 2015 at 1:37 AM

Hi Tori, same here – I’m so glad you found my little blog :) Let me know which calendar you ended up making!

sandra November 27, 2011 at 5:33 PM

ich suche immer ideen zum kalender selber zu machen.

Krista Swan November 23, 2011 at 10:35 AM

They are all so adorable!
The sock one is certainly cute, and could be re-used year to year without taking up a whole lot of storage. I think if I had been saving up TP rolls, that might be my first choice because the kids would enjoy making it, and I like the neat appearance of it.
I have a ton of jars as well, but I agree with you – kids would be obsessing over getting at what’s inside!
If I can find a place to string the cones, we might try that. I certainly have a lot of paper & ribbons around already…
Now to come up with the little presents!! :)
Thanks for the inspiration, Dagmar!

Clorissa November 22, 2011 at 4:03 PM

All of the ideas are so cute…I would probably choose the baby sock one or the shoe organizer is neat.

Whatever you choose will for sure be a wonderful memory maker for Landon.

Colleen - @amadisonmom November 21, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I love the idea of the book advent. It would be especially fun if you could find all winter and holiday themed books. (We have quite a few of those already!)

Vanessa Jubis November 21, 2011 at 2:55 PM

I love all these advent calendars, so very creative! The mini clothes pin one and the one with baby socks are my favs. Thanks for this adorable inspiration. I made a mitten banner (I sewed letters on each one and it reads: ‘Let it Snow’) with $1 mittens and bakers twine. It came out cute. I really enjoy all these creative ways of expressing oneself.

Helen November 19, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Hi Dagmar,
I love those ideas you mentioned!
I actually one made the teabag wreath, but not as an adventscalender, but as a decorative item for my kitchen, for myself :)
Do you know the cupcaketin adventscalenders? That´s an idea I also love. They cover the moulds of a cupcaketin with decorative scrapbookpaper, add numbers, and put the gifts in the cupcake moulds. They look adorable!

Cara R. November 18, 2011 at 5:19 PM

LOVE all the ideas! I can see myself in the scrap paper aisle looking at papers forever in an effort to plan for the paper cone calendar. LOL!

The toilet paper one is totally frugal, but I’ll have to save up some rolls. When I look at that picture, though, it makes me think of the “library book” pockets that are so common (even though we don’t see them in our library these days).