The Easiest Way to Install Lattice Around a Porch

by Dagmar Bleasdale on May 29, 2015

Install Lattice Around a Porch

I’ve been on a roll about improving our porch. First came the DIY porch curtains, and a few days ago I tackled replacing the lattice on the bottom of the porch.

This is my kind of DIY project because

• anyone can tackle this in an hour
  • it’s inexpensive
  • and it instantly adds a more attractive, finished look to your house

Our house is built on pillars, so we have this big space between the porch and the ground.

This is what the bottom of the porch looked like after I added some plants the other day.

Before I plant more, I wanted to add lattice under the porch.

The Easiest Way to Install Lattice Around a Porch

cottage porch

I found these leftover lattice pieces in the backyard after we bought the Blue Cottage and stuck them in front of the porch to cover at least a little bit of that dead space.

Wanting to find a better solution for skirting the porch, I went to Home Depot and checked out what else they sell that I could use for that space.

I ended up buying two 4 x 8 pieces of these white plastic lattice. They cost only $11 each.

I knew I’d have to cut them to size and bought a metal cutter (for $9), thinking it might be strong enough to let me cut it by hand. The other plan was to ask Don for help, since he has every power tool in the world.

001a

Home Depot also sells nice framing pieces for a more finished look, but I didn’t think I’d need them. I didn’t want to deal with framing in the lattice — I wanted to do this the easiest way for now.

002aWhen I got home, I removed the old wooden lattice pieces and put the white lattice piece in front of the porch to see how they fit.

006a

I got lucky and didn’t have to cut the height — it was perfect. I had to cut some of the length and around the fence posts.

I kind of just eyed where I had to cut it, and tried out the metal cutter. It was super easy to cut the lattice with it!

One tip: always cut less the first time — it’s easy enough to cut off another small sliver of the lattice if you need to get the perfect fit.

007a

Instead of drilling screws into the lattice to fasten it to the porch, I just used nails for now. The lattice is secure, and I can always add screws later.

Or I might leave it like this, because it makes it super easy to remove the lattice if I ever have to get to something under the porch.

014aThis is what the left side looked like after I was done. I still need to dig holes and put in the plants I’ve bought for this side.

017aAnd this is what the right side looked like after I cut the lattice to size. I got the perfect fit on this piece after getting the hang of using the metal cutter on the first piece.

019bHere is the finished look. Gosh, isn’t this so much better compared to the sad leftover wood lattice pieces?

024aI’m going to buy another two pieces to add to the sides of the porch, so in total, adding lattice to our porch will only cost us $53 plus tax.

029a

048a

Now that the porch skirting is done, the pressure treated wood the whole porch is built with screams for white stain to blnd in with our white trim.

Have you ever added lattice to a porch or pation?

Pin this for later!

Install Lattice Around a Porch

Melissa Vera April 22, 2016 at 11:31 AM

Hi just stopping by to let you know that your amazing post was picked as a feature on this week’s #HomeMattersParty. You can find it at http://adventuresfrugalmom.com/home-matters-linky-party-83/. Well you are there make sure to grab the I was featured button for sidebar. Congrats and thanks for linking up.

Dagmar Bleasdale April 22, 2016 at 10:01 PM

Thanks you so much, Melissa!

Debbie April 19, 2016 at 5:13 PM

You are right about the paint, it will chip and the you will have to sand the whole deck, BUT check out solid stain. They sell it at Home Depot and Lowes. I have solid brown stain on the floor of my veranda and the railings are white solid stain. It is more of a flat look but it doesn’t chip, and I am happy with it.

Dagmar Bleasdale April 20, 2016 at 2:08 PM

Hi Debbie, that’s what I ended up using, thanks!

Cara April 11, 2016 at 1:40 PM

This looks so cute! Really brightens up the look of your front porch!

Yakhlef October 17, 2015 at 6:00 AM

Hi Cita,It would be great if touch was part of the experience! I am sure that senoome is working on it somewhere!thank-you for the comment the lattice work was not my idea I had seen it somewhere in my research, but I thought that it was very cool as well. I do need to try out some more idea’s. Have you seen the . Her Nuno felting experience was very cool as well!As for taking pictures if you could only see how many I discard! LOL!! I try to get up high I will stand on a chair or if I am working in the front yard I can stand on my deck and take a picture looking down on the long straight pieces. Usually I focus on the end closest to me and then will post two pictures, one of each end. It does not always work out perfectly!I only use my DSLR at home it takes much better pictures than my old little pocket digital. I got the Canon DSLR when I needed to take very good pictures (that was my excuse for the purchase!) of my Submission to the Vogue Design Coompetition in 2010. What a difference it made in my pictures!I hope that this answers some of your questions!Life is great, busy as always!Lynette

Kristen from The Road to Domestication June 8, 2015 at 2:29 PM

Oh my goodness, what a difference! I love how it brightened everything up so beautifully! Thanks so much for taking the time to link up with us over at the #HomeMattersParty – we hope to see you again this Friday!

Dagmar Bleasdale June 13, 2015 at 12:57 AM

Hi Kristen, thanks for coming by!

Karen June 3, 2015 at 5:22 PM

The lattice looks so pretty and I love that you didn’t need your husband to do it!
Great job!
Thanks for sharing at Something to Talk About!
Karen

Dagmar Bleasdale June 13, 2015 at 1:04 AM

Thanks for the compliment, Karen!

Julie June 1, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Looks great and I agree, the whole porch would look amazing if it were painted white, I’m sure there is a way….good luck!

Dagmar Bleasdale June 1, 2015 at 8:42 PM

Hi Julie, I can’t wait to tackle that soon! Thanks for leaving a comment!