My Dream Home: 10 Open Shelving Ideas For The Kitchen

by Dagmar Bleasdale on November 25, 2012

DagmarBleasdale.com: 10 Open Shelving Ideas For The Kitchen

I’m in love with open shelving in the kitchen — but I just learned that Don is not a fan.

open shelves in kitchen{source}

I really want open shelving in our next kitchen because I have a collection of pretty dishes that I want to show off and accessible without having to open doors.

This is what Don prefers:

open shelves in kitchen{source}

And this is what I prefer. I think a few open shelves near the sink are practical and make the kitchen feel bigger.

open shelves in kitchen

{source}

So it looks like I have to make my case for open shelving. No problem, I have tons of ammunition!

Here are some beautiful examples I’ve been collecting on my Pinterest kitchen board.

An easy way to create open shelving is to just take the doors off existing cabinets, as in this example:

open shelving in kitchen{source}

I love the farmhouse look, and my favorite part is the farmhouse sink.

open shelving in kitchen created by taking off cabinet doors{source}

If you are designing a new kitchen or are renovating, shelves instead of cabinets are an option. I’m still undecided if I prefer floating shelves over shelves with brackets.

Isn’t this pretty?

open shelving in kitchen{source}

{source}

open shelving in kitchen{source}

open shelving in kitchen{source}

Here are a few examples of floating shelves. This design decision definitely makes for a simpler, more open, and less frilly look, but I’m not sure I trust that the shelves would be able to hold the weight of all our bowls, etc.

open floating shelving in kitchen{source}

open shelving in kitchen{source}

open shelving in kitchen, floating shelves{source}

Fingers crossed that these beautiful examples change Don’s opinion on open shelving in the kitchen!

What do you prefer: not seeing your dishes and hiding them in cabinets, or open shelves to show them off? What do you currently have?

kathie richard July 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I like all of them and will be having some done in the next week. My Honey do list lol.

Shannon @ Fox Hollow Cottage March 30, 2014 at 1:31 AM

All so pretty. Make me want to rip a few cabinets out ;)

Dagmar Bleasdale March 30, 2014 at 3:44 PM

I have planned to have a few open shelves but we haven’t gotten around to putting them up. Instead, I’m using vintage crates and a little bookshlef on the counter right now that every visitor including me really likes.

Bree @ Twinkle in the Eye December 6, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Love, love, love open shelving and you have chosen some great examples.

Glenda November 26, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Dagmar, I love almost every one of these! I’m especially fond of the basket idea with all the cutting boards. That would be so simple to do and it looks gorgeous!

PragmaticMom November 26, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Pretty kitchens, all of them. You have a great eye for design.

Linda@nothingbutblueskyes November 26, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I share with you the love of open shelving. My kitching doesn’t have much wallspace that isn’t covered with cabinets. When we redid the kitchen, I had a shelving unit installed over one of the counters, instead of closed cabinets. Then, when I bought my new dishes, I got Fiestaware, so now I colorfully stack them on the shelves. I tell people that the colors are art and I want to show them. I enjoy looking at them, too!! Right now, I’m in the process of putting the dishes away and taking out my holiday set. Never regretted having the shelves. Hope you can convince hubby!!

Dagmar Bleasdale November 27, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Hi Linda, thanks for your comment! I’ll have to take a look at your blog to see if I can see pictures of your kitchen. I just made two Fiestaware cups into soy candles :)