How to Make a Christmas Tree Look Fuller and Taller – on a Budget

by Dagmar Bleasdale on December 7, 2015

make a Christmas tree look fuller,

Do you want to know how you can make a sad, little 4-foot tree…

002a…look like this beautiful, 6-foot Christmas tree?

How to Make a Christmas Tree Look Fuller and Taller, DagmarBleasdale.comHow to Make a Christmas Tree Look Fuller and Taller

First of all, this Christmas tree almost didn’t happen.

I was determined to get a real Christmas tree this year, after being frugal and using our fake tree for years. This year I wanted a wider tree, and that wonderful pine smell.

The first tree lot I drove to was closed. So was the second one — they only sold to wholesalers.

The third lot was closed as well, and every tree in the fourth lot was six feet tall and way too wide for our cottage. I was looking for a smaller tree I could easily carry myself and fit into my car instead of strapping it to the top.

Home Depot to the rescue. I found a $19 tree that was easy to carry. Finally!

117When I saw the extra branches from the bottom of the trees they were throwing out, I asked if I could take a few, and they were happy to give me three. I thought they’d come in handy for extra decor.

005aAt home, I put together a Christmas tree stand I had bought years ago for $2 and put the tree into it.

It looked a little sad, I have to say.

002aAnd then I had an idea: I added an extra branch to the top of the tree with twist ties to create a prettier top and those three big branches to the bottom of the tree. I simply shoved the ends of them into the extra space in the tree stand.

011aThis looked so much better!

015aLandon helped me to put Christmas tree lights on the tree, and then I hung these pretty mercury glass ornaments I found at Target on the tree. I didn’t want to use any of our other ornaments this year to keep the decor really simple and classy.

017aI added the ornaments in strategic spots to pull down certain branches and fill in holes, and then I trimmed some of the extra branches for a round shape.

For added height, I put the tree on a little table, and wrapped the stand and table with a plaid scarf I also bought at Target. I had the idea after seeing this picture of using a white throw as a tree skirt.

What do you think? Not bad for a $19 tree, right?

How to Make a Christmas Tree Look Fuller and Taller,

How to Make a Christmas Tree Look Fuller and Taller,

How to Make a Christmas Tree Look Fuller and Taller, DagmarBleasdale.comThe little table wasn’t really big enough to hold the tree stand, so I decided safety is more important than looks and ended up putting the tree back on the floor, but you can obviously put your tree on a side table or crate. Just make sure it’s stable and safe.

How to Make a Christmas Tree Look Fuller and Taller,

How to Make a Christmas Tree Look Fuller and Taller, DagmarBleasdale.comI’m really happy with our real Christmas tree!

How to Make a Christmas Tree Look Fuller and Taller,

I finished decorating our living room today, and this is what it looks like right now.

Do you have a fake or real Christmas tree this year? What did you decorate it with?

Don’t miss my Christmas Home Tour, part 1!

Cottage Christmas Home Tour,

Alayna December 20, 2015 at 5:10 PM

Looks great! Putting the tree on top of a box is one of my favorite tricks. We have a big fake tree but I feel like the bottom branches are always too close to the ground so we put it up on a box and not only does that give us room for more presents, but it makes the tree look that much more impressive.
Thanks for sharing with us at the #HomeMatersParty

Amanda December 19, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Your tree looks wonderful! We had a real tree last year that we got from Home Depot as well. I was SO excited when they told me I could take as many discarded branches as I wanted. Thank you for sharing with us at Merry Monday!

Dagmar Bleasdale December 19, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Thanks for coming by, Amanda!

Sam December 15, 2015 at 2:00 AM

I think you did a fabulous job with your tree! It looks adorable. And I’m in love with those ornaments as well…I wanted to get the same ones (but in the pink color palette) but alas, they were glass and with an ever curious, newly walking 1 year old around the house I just didn’t want to risk it. There’s always next year right?!

Mary-the boondocks blog December 14, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Your tree looks great. And the ornaments you chose are also very pretty and simple letting the tree shine. I have a fake one that looks to be about the size of yours and I put it on 2 giant speakers that we no longer use. They make a great tree stand because they are solid and heavy and make a very wide base for the tree. Merry Christmas to you .

Dagmar Bleasdale December 15, 2015 at 12:29 AM

Hi Mary, thanks for your comment, and that’s a great idea to use the speakers!

Ilona December 8, 2015 at 5:47 AM

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zu Eurem schönen Weihnachtsbaum. Ich wünsche Euch eine schöne Adventszeit. Viele liebe Grüss und Küsse Mama/Nani

Dagmar Bleasdale December 10, 2015 at 1:34 AM

Danke, Mama!

antoinette December 8, 2015 at 1:49 AM

really lovely

michelle December 7, 2015 at 7:40 PM

we have a faux one due to extreme allergies of hubby and son. I luv short trees, I don’t know why but I just do!

Cecilia MyThriftStoreAddiction December 7, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Your tree looks lovely ~ such a clever idea to add the extra branches! Blessings, Cecilia

Dagmar Bleasdale December 8, 2015 at 1:40 AM

Thanks for coming by, Cecilia!

Rita C at Panoply December 7, 2015 at 7:58 AM

It looks awesome, Dagmar! Growing up, we had really high ceilings which dwarfed even a 6-7′ tree. My dad built a box in which the tree was placed, much like yours, and it was perfect for putting presents under (there were 9 kids!). Your tree brings back fond memories for me. We do faux these years, but I always bring in fresh branches for added touches and the fragrance. Enjoy your Christmas magic!

Dagmar Bleasdale December 8, 2015 at 1:42 AM

Thanks for your lovely comment, Rita, as always!