Toy Closet Organization and Makeover

by Dagmar Bleasdale on February 27, 2015

turquoise boy's roomLandon has a colorful room upstairs in our Blue Cottage, with big closets.

Do you remember the post I wrote about his turquoise room a while ago? I love the photos my friend Kelly shot of it.

Take a look at it again — I’ll wait :)

See those large closets? One runs the whole length of the room behind his bed, and the smaller one is on the other side of the room.

turquoise room, boy's room

Our bedroom has the same layout on the other side of the house.

Toy Closet Organization

toy closet makeoverI always intended for the small closet to be like a walk-in toy closet for L.

Some of his toys and books are in there, but…

He can’t get to them.

Did you notice that I haven’t shown you the inside of the closet?

Brace yourself. I’ll show you once and never again.

Here I go.

toy closet makeoverYikes.

toy closet makeover

Much better.

Most of that stuff accumulated since we moved in and is waiting for me to pull the attic ladder down — which is in L’s room — and to bring it up there.

I might be a bit of a hoarder, but I also love organizing and have been looking forward to tackling this closet.

A few days ago I rolled up my sleeves and got everything out of the closet to organized it. I started by putting bins on the floor.

organizing with bins

I sorted everything into these categories:

• donations
  • recycling
  • keep for Landon
  • DIY supplies and home decor
  • sell to Once Upon a Child
  • trash
  • attic

organizing with binsorganizing kid's room with binsIt only took half an hour to empty the closet.

I haven’t gotten any further, but it’s a step in the right direction! I have plans to update a shelf I want to use in the closet and then show you the finished product.

Do you have a closet that is stuffed to the top with things?

If you enjoyed this post, you’d also like my recent bathroom closet makeover:

bathroom closet makeover b

Christine from So Domestically Challenged March 6, 2015 at 2:05 AM

That turned out great! I bet it feels good to have it all organized!

Amanda March 5, 2015 at 11:12 AM

What an awesome room! I have more closets that look like that than I’d like to admit. Great sorting list though! Thank you! I can always use all the inspiration I can get. I have a husband who has MANY collections and it can get overwhelming.

Sharon March 5, 2015 at 10:37 AM

So, I am not going to lie… When I saw the closet before shot, I was like, “Yesssss!” LOL. It’s nice to know some one is like me. Pinning and sharing. I would love if you linked this up to Totally Terrific Tuesday. Hope to see you there.

Sharon
herorganizedchaos.com

Creatively Homespun March 5, 2015 at 9:50 AM

Great tips!!! What a cute room!! Very suiting for a little boy. :-) Thanks for sharing at the Artsy-Fartsy link party!

Rebecca Orr March 4, 2015 at 10:42 PM

My bedroom closet looks quite similar! We have a hodgepodge of Christmas and Easter decor, some tools, a big laundry basket of Christmas books, gifts I have started setting aside for Christmas 2015, a few blankets, coats, clothes for donation, and so much more. It is really ridiculous! Once the weather clears and I can get to our shed, I will clear it out and take most of the holiday stuff out there for storing. It is just so daunting though….but I just need to do it!!

lessandragr March 4, 2015 at 3:35 AM

I really got a laugh out of your leading-up-to-the-closet shot! SO familiar! My late husband was a hoarder of the nth degree so we had a whole room plus a triple car garage stuffed to almost the ceiling. Really not funny when the person is immobilized and can’t do anything about it – but you, and now me, can! I love the turquoise walls in your son’s room.