Neutral Fall Mantel & a Vintage Book Pages Pumpkin

by Dagmar Bleasdale on October 3, 2014

neutral fall mantel, DagmarBleasdale.com

Neutral Fall Mantel

Our fall mantel is done! This year I decided that I wanted to stay away from orange pumpkins — I did that last year — and keep everything in neutral colors.

neutral fall mantel, DagmarBleasdale.com

I grabbed a lot of decorating items from our house that are white, off white, and brown, and shopped for a few new items. I love the result.

As you can see, I added a table runner to the top of the mantel.

neutral fall mantel, DagmarBleasdale.com

The focal point of this neutral fall mantel is the large art piece of a pumpkin made out of vintage book pages.

vintage book pages pumpkin, DagmarBleasdale.com

I wanted a large picture of a pumpkin on the mantel but couldn’t find one in a neutral color, and I told my friend Kelly about it.

She’s a talented artist and we brainstormed about making our own, big art piece that would make a statement. We came up with using  Mod Podge and one of my many vintage books to make it.

Kelly made this art piece in just two days for me! It came out even better than I could have imagined. What do you think?

neutral fall mantel

I scored this vintage sunburst clock the other day at Goodwill for $15, remember?

neutral fall mantel

I discovered the brown pumpkins made out of twigs for $3 in the dollar isle at Target. They pair well with my brown glass bottles.

white  and brown fall mantel, DagmarBleasdale.com

This $7 owl is new as well, from Home Goods.

neutral fall mantelThe perfect spot to relax with a coffee or tea in front of the fireplace.

transferware teacup and book with glasses in front of fireplace, DagmarBleasdale.com

Oh, and finding the white scale was a total coincidence. My friend Lynn had it in her booth at the Newburgh Vintage Emporium and took a picture of it for her Facebook page, and I remember noticing it then.

And when I dropped off more items for my booth, I saw it and decided I just had to have it to add to the mantel.

neutral fall mantel with vintage scaleMeant to be.

wooden bucket with books in front of fireplaceThis wooden bucket usually has a different spot in the living room, but it looks so nice in front of the fireplace with books.

neutral fall decor, cottage, DagmarBleasdale.com

What do you think about decorating for fall with neutral colors instead of orange or red?

I was featured!

Kenarry: Ideas for the Home

Lynn @ Riggstown Road August 28, 2015 at 12:35 PM

Hi, Dagmar! I absolutely LOVE that vintage book-page pumpkin. It is gorgeous! :)

Valerie@Occasionally Crafty August 27, 2015 at 12:46 PM

This is just beautiful! I love it! Thanks for linking up to The Handmade Hangout! I’ll be featuring this on my blog today when the new linky goes live at 6pm ET. Hope to see you there to share what you’ve been working on this week!

Jamie | anderson + grant August 26, 2015 at 10:26 PM

I’m thinking of going neutral with my fall decor this year, so I loved seeing this post. That pumpkin art work is incredible. How lucky you are to have such a talented (and fast) friend!

Dagmar Bleasdale August 26, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Very lucky, for sure! I haven’t decided yet on what I want to do this year for fall.

Tania August 24, 2015 at 11:51 PM

It looks so pretty, I love that it’s neutral!

Tania

Jenny @ Refresh Living August 24, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Your mantel looks beautiful! I love, love the pumpkin made from vintage book pages. It’s totally a project I want to do, now!

Dagmar Bleasdale August 26, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Thank for coming by, Jenny!

Alayna @AlaynasCreations August 21, 2015 at 10:20 PM

The neutral color scheme for your fall mantel looks lovely. Thanks for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty

Pam @ The Birch Cottage August 19, 2015 at 8:32 PM

Love the idea of using neutral colors for fall decorating. Thanks for sharing on the Living with Style Linky Party.

Dagmar Bleasdale August 26, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Thank for coming by, Pam!

Megin August 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Beautiful! I love the pumpkin; it is simply lovely. What a great friend you have!

Thank you for sharing this week at Brag About It link party on VMG206 (Mondays at Midnight). I plan to feature you next week!
~ Megin of VMG206

Cyndi August 17, 2015 at 4:39 PM

I love your neutral theme, and oh that art piece is phenomenal. Your friend should do a tutorial! I’d love to make something similar.

Leesha @ Living Contently August 17, 2015 at 9:52 AM

This is absolutely gorgeous! I need to get on the ball with my fall decorating, or I may not get it done this year (expecting my 1st baby in September). Thanks for the inspiration!

Hil August 16, 2015 at 9:40 PM

That pumpkin center piece for the mantle is super cute. Very fun idea.

Stephanie R August 15, 2015 at 7:41 PM

This is so pretty. I love seeing fall decor that isn’t just oranges and browns!

Tania October 16, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I really love your neutral fall mantel and the pumpkin art is gorgeous!

Tania

Dagmar Bleasdale October 16, 2014 at 11:54 PM

Thank you, Tania! Heading over to check out your blog – vintage and cottage? That I have to see :)

Bethany October 16, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Your mantel is beautiful! The pumpkin art? It’s just…everything! I LOVE it! PLEASE get your friend to do some type of tutorial for the art because I need it in my life!

Dagmar Bleasdale October 16, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Thank you for your comment, Bethany! I’ll let Kelly know to post it on her blog!

Angel October 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Such a lovely mantle. I love the softness of the neutral color. Thanks for sharing with us at Wake Up Wednesday Linky Party.
Angel

Leigh Anne October 16, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I love neutrals on a mantel, this is beautiful! Thanks for sharing at Think & Make Thursday:-)

Dagmar Bleasdale October 16, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Hi Leigh Anne, thanks for coming by and commenting! I’m glad you like it!

Heather October 15, 2014 at 12:43 PM

So so gorgeous! Thanks for sharing at Monday Funday – pinning! ~ Heather

Dagmar Bleasdale October 15, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Thanks for hosting and coming by! Love you blog!

normaleverydaylife October 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Love the neutral color scheme! The book page pumpkin is so creative and I like all of your accessories! :) #turnituptuesday

Dagmar Bleasdale October 15, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Thank you for coming by and commenting, I appreciate it!

Katherines Corner October 14, 2014 at 10:26 AM

A lovely display of Autumn neutrals. I invite you to share at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. Hugs!

AnnMarie October 13, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I love your neutral colors!! So pretty and that book page pumpkin is phenomenal. I tried to stay away from orange, adding aqua, pink and corals. I love it but I do have one orange pumpkin and an orange gourd!

Christine October 12, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Wonderful fall mantle, I love your pumpkin too. It turned out great!

~Lana October 11, 2014 at 6:15 PM

I am in love with that pumpkin! I must try something similar for my mantle. Where your room is lovely and bright…mine is dark with rough sawn cedar walls (stuck in the 70s!). I love the room at christmas…its cozy. But I try so hard to brighten it at other times. This is a wonderful idea! For me personally the best part is to reuse the special vintage book in a way it can be enjoyed again and again rather than just on a shelf.

Thank you for sharing and sparking my creativity in another direction.
~L

Dagmar Bleasdale October 12, 2014 at 3:26 AM

Hi Lana, I’m so glad you like it! What about white-washing you walls?

Gloribell October 11, 2014 at 12:48 AM

This is absolutely beautiful! My kind of vignette with the softness of neutral colors. Thanks for the invitation and loooooove that big pimpkin!

Kristin Saling October 5, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Lovely arrangement! I already miss cozy fall evenings and sitting next to my fireplace, but I really miss being able to put up this and that on the mantle. I really love the vintage-page pumpkin idea – it’s just hard to find a book I would part with to make it!

Dagmar Bleasdale October 7, 2014 at 12:15 AM

Hi Kristin, one idea would be to go to a tag sale or thrift store and pick up a vintage book for a few dollars. I also have a hard time parting with vintage books, but I have many that have ruined covers and those I put aside for projects.