DIY Project: Succulent Garden in Egg Carton

by Dagmar Bleasdale on March 27, 2013

Succulent Garden in Egg Carton

I recently made this miniature succulent garden with eggs shells and a recycled egg carton. This is perfect for Easter decorating but would also look cute all year in your home.

DIY succulent garden in egg cartonThe photos show you what you need to do –it’s really simple, really.

You will need these supplies:

• 2 cups of dirt (or potting soil)
  • 1 egg carton
  • 6 egg shells
  • 1 cup of moss (I got mine from our front yard for free)
  • 1 cup of gravel
  • little succulent plants

Not a fan or recycling an egg carton? This succulent garden would also look adorable in one of those ceramic egg trays they sell at Antropologie and other stores.

Or do you have egg cups that hold just one egg? They don’t get used here in America as much as we use them in Germany, but if you have any, it would look cute to group several of those together with one egg each in it for a little garden — maybe on a window sill or lined up as a centerpiece on your table.

succulents in egg holder

If you are adventurous and don’t mind broken eggs, this is a great DIY project with kids.

Have you ever made a succulent garden?

Rose's DIY Crafts, at FineCraftGuild April 3, 2015 at 8:07 PM

Dagmar, this looks really cute and so easy to do. I can see that succulents work best for this. Thank you for linking these up at Share it Sunday (linky party) at So hope to see you there again Easter Sunday!

Lindsay Eidahl March 15, 2015 at 8:09 PM

This is so cute! Thank you for sharing on Show Me Saturday!

Sage March 12, 2015 at 5:56 PM

I love succulents and usually plant them in secondhand teacups, like Kitty does. This idea is adorable and perfect for spring… thanks for sharing it!

Dagmar Bleasdale March 12, 2015 at 8:28 PM

Thanks, Sage!

Liisi March 11, 2015 at 1:22 PM

What amazing idea! I have never done anything like this. But now I’m planning to :)Thanks for sharing this!

Cathy March 11, 2015 at 10:11 AM

This is really cute and so easy and budget friendly. Love it. Thank you for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

Kitty Wilkin March 9, 2015 at 4:49 PM

Very cute! I put my succulents in old teacups. The eggshells are very cute, though. I’ve used old eggcartons and shells for planting seeds, but nothing as permanent as succulents. Do they thrive and grow in there?

Dagmar Bleasdale March 10, 2015 at 2:58 AM

Hi Kitty, you need to make sure to not over- or underwater them in the eggs, but other than that they do fine in there – until they get too big. Then replant them.