Last-Minute Father’s Day Gift
If you are still in need for a last-minute, easy Father’s Day gift the kids can make, permanent markers are your friends!
Did you know that you can draw on a cup or a plate with Sharpies and then bake it to make your masterpiece permanent?
That way Dad can enjoy his personalized gift for years.
This would obviously also be a neat idea for other occasions: when you need a quick gift for Grandma or unique holiday decor.
Father’s Day is one of those celebrations where Dad usually end up with the same old, boring gifts. I wanted to make something for my husband that he can use for years to come, and I wanted our son to be able to help make it for him.
Get out your permanent markers: Sharpies to the rescue!
Last-Minute Father’s Day Gift: DIY Sharpie Art Plate
This is a wonderful craft you can do together with your kids. You can draw on a cup, for example, and your child can decorate a plate for Dad, or you can collaborate.
That’s what my son and I ended up doing: he drew on the plate, and I added the writing.
DIY Sharpie Art Supplies:
- White or light-colored plate(s) or cup(s)
- Sharpies (I bought a whole set of colored Sharpies at a dollar store)
- An oven to bake the items
DIY Sharpie Art Tutorial:
- Wash the dish you want to draw on with warm water and soap, and dry it.
- Decide with your child what he or she will be drawing, keeping in mind the occasion.
- If you want to write on the plate or cup, you can put tape on it for a straight line to follow when you are writing the words. Be careful not to get too close to the tape because the ink can run under the tape.
- You can scrub off the Sharpie marks and try again if you make a mistake.
- When you are happy with your design, sign and date it, and then bake the item in an oven at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Be careful not to burn yourself when you take it out – wear oven mittens and let the item cool down. Caution: make sure small children are not around when you do this and make older kids aware that the item is cooling down and is not to be touched.
- Care instruction: wash the Sharpie plate or cup with warm water and soap, not a dishwasher.
How would you decorate your Sharpie plate or cup for Dad?
You could add a quote about what makes a great dad, or a drawing of something special.
Here is another idea for DIY Sharpie art from Grace.
Since the plates are hanging on the wall, you wouldn’t even have to bake them.
Let the kids get creative! Create DIY sharpie art or Father’s Day!