Planter With House Number
Why do people make it so hard for us to find their home? Where is their house number?!
How many times have you driven up and down a street because you can’t see the house number you’re looking for.
Decorated a planter with your house number is not only a great solution but also decorative – it adds to the overall curb appeal of your home.
I wanted to make it very obvious and easy for people to find our home by making a planter for the front door with a big, white number.
I’m a fan of repurposing and using what you have, so initially, I decided to create my own stencil out of plastic. Unfortunately, I found that the stencil would not lay flat on my round planter.
So, what does a DIYer do in these kind of situations?
You make it work!
I painted the planter by hand and it turned out just as I had hoped – a simple, big number on a planter that everyone can see from the street.
One tip: use a square planter – it makes painting the number on it so much easier.
Planter With House Number Tutorial
You’ll need these supplies:
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00U8UILR6″ locale=”US” tag=”dagmarblecom-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”y” popups=”n”]large planter[/easyazon_link] (8 inches high or larger. I bought mine for $8 at HomeGoods)
- thin cardboard or paper folder
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B000LNRSVU” locale=”US” tag=”dagmarblecom-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”y” popups=”n”]Krylon Short Cuts Enamel paint[/easyazon_link] or similar paint (in a color that will stand out a lot from the planter color)
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B00004Z4DI” locale=”US” tag=”dagmarblecom-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”y” popups=”n”]painter’s tape[/easyazon_link] or double-stick tape
- [easyazon_link identifier=”B000F9XBQQ” locale=”US” tag=”dagmarblecom-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”y” popups=”n”]permanent marker[/easyazon_link]
- small [easyazon_link identifier=”B00V4EG6D6″ locale=”US” tag=”dagmarblecom-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”y” popups=”n”]paint brush[/easyazon_link]
- optional: [easyazon_link identifier=”B00397STRW” locale=”US” tag=”dagmarblecom-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”y” popups=”n”]clear spray paint[/easyazon_link] to spray over the number to weatherize it
House Number Planter Tutorial:
- Wash the planter with soap and warm water.
- Draw your house numbers on the thin cardboard to create a template – I used a manila folder. I liked that I was able to personalize the shapes of my numbers by creating them by hand. However, you could buy a set of [easyazon_link identifier=”B00JG9M1K8″ locale=”US” tag=”dagmarblecom-20″ cart=”n” cloak=”y” popups=”n”]house number stencils[/easyazon_link] or stickers at your local craft store or hardware store.
- Cut out the numbers, and then tape them temporarily to the planter. Double-stick tape works best because you can trace around the whole number. Adjust the placement of the numbers until you like their location on the planter.
- Trace around your numbers with a marker. I used a yellow permanent marker, but a white marker would be ideal for a darker planter like the one I chose.
- Paint your numbers in two coats to ensure a vibrant color. Paint the first coat and allow it to dry completely, then paint the second coat.
- If your planter will be exposed to the elements quite often, spray a coat of clear paint over the number for extra protection so you can enjoy your planter for years to come.
Once the number is painted and dried, fill the planter with plants and put it next to your front door or in the spot where it will be visible the most.
Now you’re making it easy for friends and family to find your home!
What I love about this idea is that if you move, you can still use the planter as a fun piece of decoration.
Numbers are always popular for interior design decor accents, and the numbers on the planter remind me of classy Ralph Lauren polo shirt with numbers that never go out of style – so re-purpose rather than trash this lovely planter if you move in the coming years.
Or just turn it around to hide the number, ha!
Is this planter with house number a project you would like to tackle?
Please pin this DIY if you like it.