Scandinavian Cottage Decor — 11 Beautiful Examples

by Dagmar Bleasdale on August 8, 2015

Scandinavian Cottage Decor,

Growing up in North Germany, I was close to Scandinavia: Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland and Iceland.

I actually never visited any of those countries — my parents instead took my brother and me to Tunesia (beach vacation) and Italy (ski vacation) every year when we were growing up — but I was surrounded by Scandinavian cottage decor because IKEA is so big in Germany.

That Swedish company is obviously known all over the world. And what do you think of first when you think of IKEA furniture?

I think of the light brown color of pine furniture. I had several of them in my room. You might think of white walls and neutral color accents, or of furniture you put together yourself.

Or the Swedish meatballs you eat in their restaurants before shopping in the store.

Scandinavian Cottage Decor

scan 8{source}

Oh, isn’t this just dreamy?

The Scandinavian cottage decor style is simple, calming, and comfortable, with accents of wood. The main colors are neutrals: mostly white, beige, gray, and light brown.

It’s very much a style that invites the outdoors. Scandinavians live in darkness for many months of the year, so sunlight is invited in with big windows that usually don’t have curtains.

scan 6{source}

Scandinavian cottage decor is simple elegance. Don’t you just want to live here? I do.

scan 4{source}

scan 2{source}

A bathroom with French doors, nice! And I love that mirror.

Scandinavian cottage decor, bathroom,{source}

Another thing I noticed: there are plants in every room.

scan 5{source}

If you want to achieve the authentic Scandinavian cottage decor style, go for light-colored hardwood floors.

Scandinavian cottage deco,{source}

This is a picture of Vibeke’s house in Norway. I always notice her pictures on Pinterest and pin them a lot to my cottage decor board and shabby chic board— they are always impeccably styled and absolutely stunning.

Do yourself a favor and get lost in her blog for an hour. Or two.

scandinavia cottage decor {source}

The art in Scandinavian homes is often minimal and clustered, and here you can see the familiar colors again: white, beige, brown, and gray.

scan 7{source}

scan 9{source}

Here is a beautiful nursery decorated in the Scandinavian cottage decor style:

Scandinavian cottage decor nursery,{source}

Do you have touches of Scandinavia cottage decor in your house?

We definitely do.

Sherry April 24, 2016 at 8:07 PM

What a beautiful style! I don’t have anything like it in my home, but I wish I did. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Merry Monday.

Mary-the boondocks blog April 24, 2016 at 6:59 AM

What a great post Dagmar. I love this style although I don’t have it in my home. Actually, right now I am in the middle of a redo. These are all excellent examples of the style. I would love to have you join us at a new link party we are hosting called Sweet Inspiration which runs Friday thru Tuesday.

Milica October 17, 2015 at 4:10 AM

I made this last night and the flavor was fantistac, but I am wondering what the final texture of the dessert is supposed to be. My grandmother’s baked rice pudding was solid, almost like a dense cake or pie and tasted amazing. I was aiming for that, but despite 2.5+ hours of baking, it never really gelled together at the bottom. Could this have been due to the baking dish I used? Should I add another ingredient to help it set? Any help appreciated.

Suzan October 3, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Just gorgeous Dagmar – all of them – the white and wood is just sheer perfection !
Pinning some of these – thanks so much for sharing !

Karen August 16, 2015 at 8:44 AM

I love this style. Simply beautiful.
I would love for you to stop by my blog on Mondays and share at our Something to Talk About link party!
Have a great day!

Michelle James August 15, 2015 at 5:28 PM

I really like this style even with all of the white. It is so light and airy. I think that is what I like the most about it. The fabulous windows and plants just enhance it even more. Beautiful! I wish I could incorporate a little of this in my home. I feel like I live in a dark cave. Thanks for sharing at #HomeMattersParty

Dagmar Bleasdale August 15, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Thanks for coming by, Michelle!

Nellie August 14, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Hi Dagmar,
Lots of fun photos, love all the white neutrals, they jsut seem so soothing. I tend to like the modern looks of Ikea too, they have some
really neat items and they have very reasonable prices, only wish we had one
closer to us. Ours is about an hour away.

Have a great day hon,
Blessings, Nellie

Dagmar Bleasdale August 15, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Hi Nellie,

our IKEA is also an hour away. I used to live 15 minutes away from one in L. A., and that was dangerous :)

Bridget - The Recipe Wench August 13, 2015 at 7:34 AM

I love Ikea too. We’re near Naples, Italy. It’s unbelievable how many people flock to the Ikea here on the weekends. The. Place. To. Be. Thank you so much for sharing this at the Inspire Me Mondays Link-Up. The photos are so pretty!

Dagmar Bleasdale August 13, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Thanks for coming by, Bridget!

Tone August 13, 2015 at 6:19 AM

Hi Dagmar! What a lovely post! As a scandinavien (from Norway actually) I must say alot of this looks familiar. I love the cottage style, and I try to achieve it my self. I get a lot of inspiration from the “American cottage” style.
I love using old furniture and things I find, and give them a makeover with milkpaint.
I would love for you to stop by my blog, then you can see if it is more Scandinavian or American imspired. Thanks :)

Dagmar Bleasdale August 14, 2015 at 1:10 AM

I can’t wait to head over to your blog, Tone!

Pam @ The Birch Cottage August 12, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Love it! I especially like the kitchen with the cutting boards. Such simple, elegant pleasures! Thanks for sharing on The Living with Style Linky Party!

Ashley Tukiainen August 12, 2015 at 9:40 AM

As someone who lives in Scandinavia, this is much more beautiful and inviting that what I see here in Finland. You nailed the neutrals though! Everything here is neutral

Dagmar Bleasdale August 13, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Thanks so much for coming by and commenting, Ashley!

Cathy August 10, 2015 at 4:27 PM

I have always loved this style and am always drawn to it when perusing Pinterest. Your pictures are gorgeous – thank you for sharing them with Share It One More Time. Cathy

Gina August 9, 2015 at 9:59 PM

Popped over from Motivation Monday, and glad I did! Your post is inspiring with great pictures. Gotta love Ikea

michelle August 9, 2015 at 9:54 AM

luv it all! i have a few touches – hoping to had more as time goes on. my tastes have changed the older I’ve gotten. now just slowly redoing our home.

Lauren English August 8, 2015 at 10:49 PM

Wow these are beautiful. I love that combination of crisp white and wood too. It’s so clean and cozy at the same time!

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces August 8, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Beautiful inspiration photos…I often get lost in Vibeke’s blog…