How to Throw a 50th Birthday Party on a Small Budget

by Dagmar Bleasdale on November 12, 2012

Tips about how to throw a birthday party on a budget! Find all the tips and tricks on DagmarBleasdale.com

How To Throw A BIG 50th Birthday Party on a Small Budget

{or really any birthday party}

Welcome to Dagmar’s Home!

• Are you looking for tips and suggestions about how to throw a birthday party on a budget?
  • Are you stressed out because you don’t think you have enough money to plan a beautiful party?

Then you’ve come to the right place!

I’m super frugal and try to do everything in the most inexpensive way. I have planned many birthday parties on a budget, many for under $100. In this post I’ll tell you how I was able to create a 50th birthday party for 25 people for just $500, but many of these tips work for any party.

You can do what I did — depending on your party maybe even for less money!

I will show you how you can pay less for

• the venue
  • music
  • flowers
  • food and birthday cake
  • tables and chairs
  • tableware
  • party decorations

Here we go!

My husband’s 50th birthday was coming up, and I was determined to make this a special day for him, even though we were on a tight budget.

How to plan a 50th birthday party on a budget! http://www.dagmarbleasdale.com/2012/11/50th-birthday-party-on-a-small-budget/

I was able to organize a lovely surprise party with our family and friends he really enjoyed.

How was I able to throw a classy party for 25 people in a beautiful venue for only $500?

• smart budgeting
  • some bartering
  • a lot of hands-on work
  • and some luck and ingenuity

Click here for a free printable:

Cheat Sheet to Plan a Birthday Party on a Budget

3 Tips for Creating a 50th Birthday Party for Less

Tip 1. Venue, Music, and Flowers for Less

Venue:

Don’t be afraid to barter!

I had my eye on The Lodge room at a local farm, which is a pretty venue with a lovely main room, but I couldn’t swing the rental fee plus the costs of food, etc.

So luckily I mentioned the upcoming party to the owner and she let me have the Lodge for free, in exchange for social media consulting. It was a win/win for the both of us.

Check out your local community center or church and ask if they have a party room you can have for a few hours. I bet you could offer something in return to barter.

Music:

Don’t waste money on a band: nowadays all you need is an iPod or iPhone and a speaker, and you can stream free music with the Pandora app.

Pandora lets you decide which type of music you prefer to hear for the party, and then you just let it run, or if you have your favorite music downloaded, then just play that.

I personally didn’t want to be distracted by music and wanted our guests to be able to talk to each other, so we didn’t even have music.

Flowers:

One of our friends, a talented florist, made a beautiful floral arrangement as her birthday gift for Don that I used as a centerpiece.

Don’t have a florist friend? One of the best deals for flowers can be found at Trader Joe’s — they offer pretty bouquets for not much money, and you can just place them in a few vases you have, or mason jars. Done!

Here is another idea: buy fake flowers at the craft store. You can also find very inexpensive pots there. You can usually find a coupon when you go to the store’s website. Show it to the cashier on your smartphone when you check out for extra savings. Inexpensive flowers and containers can also be found at dollar stores or IKEA.

After the party, you can use the fake flowers in your home, or for the next party.

I made planning a party easy for you:

Click here for a free printable:

Cheat Sheet to Plan a Birthday Party on a Small Budget

Go here to read Tip 2 and 3, plus the breakdown of my $500 budget.

————————————————————————–

Get ALL of my money-saving tips! I compiled them all in this helpful ebook for just $4.99!

You’ll learn to save hundreds of dollars every year. From Frugal to Fancy is filled with all of my tricks:

"From Frugal to Fancy" ebook by Dagmar Bleasdale, http://www.dagmarbleasdale.com/downloads/from-frugal-to-fancy-ebook/

Go here to read Tip 2 and 3, plus the breakdown of my $500 birthday party budget.

Jamie March 19, 2016 at 5:39 PM

What great tips! Like I always say, the people are more important than anything else. Don’t put all of your thought on the amount you think you have to spend! :) Thank you for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty

Dagmar Bleasdale March 21, 2016 at 12:00 AM

Hi Jamie, thanks for your comment!

julie March 18, 2016 at 6:28 AM

Being able to do your own food is usually a massive money saver. I’ve been to loads of parties even a couple of weddings where everyone brings a dish and the party caters itself.
For a friends 25 wedding anniversary a group of us spent a morning making and icing cupcakes, we had a fab and very funny morning and she saved a fortune.
That venue looks beautiful, what a great find.

Dagmar Bleasdale March 21, 2016 at 12:05 AM

Hi Julie, thanks for your comment! That sounds like a lot of fun to decorate the cupcakes together – and I’m sure it makes that wedding anniversary so much more memorable.

Lindsay March 16, 2016 at 11:48 AM

Love this idea for a series! great tips! thanks for sharing at Merry Monday!

Angela @ Setting My Intention March 15, 2016 at 8:40 PM

I love the idea of bartering services. I think that’s an awesome idea on utilizing resources. It sounds like you did an awesome job.

Dee February 10, 2016 at 2:46 AM

These are great tips, and I’m thinking they would work for graduations and anniversaries too. Happy Birthday to your husband, and thanks for sharing! :)

Willie lawson January 26, 2016 at 2:00 PM

I want rent a place for birthday party. I be 50year old.it just be family and friends. Call me 678313-5009

Dagmar Bleasdale January 27, 2016 at 2:20 AM

Hi Willie, I don’t rent space, sorry.

donna November 8, 2014 at 12:49 AM

I would like to rent a place where i can bring my own food and dj

VICTORIA August 31, 2014 at 7:05 PM

this is great and spectacular.
thank you for the tips.
i love it

Rebecca November 22, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Dagmar, I read this with particular interest as my husband’s 50th birthday is coming up in January. Thanks for all your great tips. Great post and thank you so much for sharing it with us at Seasonal Celebration Sunday! Happy Thanksgiving! Rebecca x

Dagmar Bleasdale November 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Hi Rebecca, I’m glad you liked my post! I’m planning to post one more about how I decorated that big room on a dime.

Azara November 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Very nice! I did a post once about the fiasco I caused shopping for my daughter’s first birthday party. My face gets red just thinking about it. Let’s leave it at…no, I cannot plan a nice party for 25 people for $500. So I’m impressed that you pulled it off.

nadia @ mamemima November 14, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Looks great and sounds like you had a lot of fun. I love organizing and designing parties. I always try to do everything myself. Which not always ends up being budget-friendly! ;) For my son’s 1st birthday party, I designed all the paper things (invitations, signs, toppers, banners) and did all the decor with the help of my mom and sister, who also baked all the cupcakes and cake. It was truly a labor of love. You just remind me I have to do a post about his party. I never did!

Dagmar Bleasdale November 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Labor of love-work never feels like work, right? Let me know when you writer that post – I’d like to read it.

Kathy Morelli, LPC (@KathyAMorelli) November 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Happy Birthday, Don! Looks like fun! I think he is about the same age as my husband was when my son was around 7…! We celebrated Bill’s 60th last year and we had a gr8 time!

Rosey November 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM

That’s awesome (the decorating looks great and the pillows are just the right touch!). Glad your hubby had a nice 50th and I bet he’s happy to have such a thoughtful wife. :)