How To Throw A 50th Birthday Party on a Small Budget

by Dagmar Bleasdale on November 12, 2012

50th birthday party on small budgetHow To Throw A BIG 50th Birthday Party on a Small Budget

{or really any birthday party}

Welcome to Dagmar’s Home!

Looking for tips and suggestions about how to throw a 50th birthday party on a budget? Then you’ve come to the right place!

I’m super frugal and have learned know how to get amazing deals that I’ll share with you. I’ll tell you how I was able to create a party for just $500.

My husband’s 50th birthday was coming up, and I was determined to make this a special day for him, even though he wasn’t in a mood for a party and we are on a budget.

I was able to organize a lovely surprise party with our family and friends he really enjoyed.

How was I able to throw a classy party for 25 people in a beautiful venue for only $500? Smart budgeting, some bartering, a lot of hands-on-work, and some luck.

3 Tips for Creating a 50th Birthday Party for Less

Tip 1. Barter and don’t be afraid to ask for help.

I had my eye on The Lodge room at a local farm, which is a pretty venue with a lovely main room, but I couldn’t swing the rental fee plus the costs of food, etc.

The Lodge at Tilly Foster Farm Museum in Brewster

So luckily I mentioned the upcoming party to the owner and she let me have the Lodge for free, in exchange for social media consulting. It was a win/win for the both of us.

Check out your local community center or church and ask if they have a party room you can have for a few hours. I bet you could offer something in return to barter.

Don’t waste money on a band: nowadays all you need is an iPod or iPhone and a speaker, and you can stream free music with the Pandora app.

One of our friends, a talented florist, made a beautiful floral arrangement as her birthday gift for Don that I used as a centerpiece.

Don’t have a florist friend? One of the best deals for flowers can be found at Trader Joe’s — they offer pretty bouquets for not much money.

Click >> here >> for Tip 2 and 3, and the breakdown of my $500 budget!

Dee February 10, 2016 at 2:46 AM

These are great tips, and I’m thinking they would work for graduations and anniversaries too. Happy Birthday to your husband, and thanks for sharing! :)

Willie lawson January 26, 2016 at 2:00 PM

I want rent a place for birthday party. I be 50year old.it just be family and friends. Call me 678313-5009

Dagmar Bleasdale January 27, 2016 at 2:20 AM

Hi Willie, I don’t rent space, sorry.

donna November 8, 2014 at 12:49 AM

I would like to rent a place where i can bring my own food and dj

VICTORIA August 31, 2014 at 7:05 PM

this is great and spectacular.
thank you for the tips.
i love it

Rebecca November 22, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Dagmar, I read this with particular interest as my husband’s 50th birthday is coming up in January. Thanks for all your great tips. Great post and thank you so much for sharing it with us at Seasonal Celebration Sunday! Happy Thanksgiving! Rebecca x

Dagmar Bleasdale November 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Hi Rebecca, I’m glad you liked my post! I’m planning to post one more about how I decorated that big room on a dime.

Azara November 16, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Very nice! I did a post once about the fiasco I caused shopping for my daughter’s first birthday party. My face gets red just thinking about it. Let’s leave it at…no, I cannot plan a nice party for 25 people for $500. So I’m impressed that you pulled it off.

nadia @ mamemima November 14, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Looks great and sounds like you had a lot of fun. I love organizing and designing parties. I always try to do everything myself. Which not always ends up being budget-friendly! ;) For my son’s 1st birthday party, I designed all the paper things (invitations, signs, toppers, banners) and did all the decor with the help of my mom and sister, who also baked all the cupcakes and cake. It was truly a labor of love. You just remind me I have to do a post about his party. I never did!

Dagmar Bleasdale November 18, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Labor of love-work never feels like work, right? Let me know when you writer that post – I’d like to read it.

Kathy Morelli, LPC (@KathyAMorelli) November 13, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Happy Birthday, Don! Looks like fun! I think he is about the same age as my husband was when my son was around 7…! We celebrated Bill’s 60th last year and we had a gr8 time!

Rosey November 12, 2012 at 10:30 AM

That’s awesome (the decorating looks great and the pillows are just the right touch!). Glad your hubby had a nice 50th and I bet he’s happy to have such a thoughtful wife. :)