Our New Colonial Headboard — Should I Paint It White?

by Dagmar Bleasdale on August 6, 2015

colonial headboard, cottage, DagmarBleasdale.com

Welcome to our Blue Cottage, which I lovingly decorate with thrifty and vintage treasures.

I haven’t shown you our bedroom in ages! But we have a new bed, and I need your opinion.

You got a glimpse of our brown IKEA bed during my Christmas Home Tour in 2013…

bedroom decor Christmas…and in a post about the organic wool pillow.

bedroom with organic pillows

Don and I bought this inexpensive bed 11 years ago when we moved in together. We only lived 15 minutes away from the IKEA store in Burbank, CA, so I bought a lot of furniture and home decor there.

I had a full-sized IKEA bed when I met Don, and I loved it because it was so easy to put together. We still have it, and now Landon is using it in his room.

One of my requirements for large furniture is that they are light and easy to move — since I have moved almost every year or two since landing in America 20 years ago.

Several months ago we were given this king-sized bed with a colonial headboard. I was hesitant to take it because it takes up more of our bedroom, and it’s black.

Nothing in our house is black. Most of our furniture are either dark brown — the vintage ones — or shabby chic white.

colonial headboard, cottage, DagmarBleasdale.comSo black doesn’t really work in our house at all, but I couldn’t pass up a brand-new mattress, and the extra space in bed is certainly nice.

colonial headboard, cottage, DagmarBleasdale.comThe headboard is pretty but very tall, and I’m not sold on it. It’s clashing with the brown bedside tables, but I have yet to find better alternatives because there is now only a small space left next to the headboard.

It’s not attached to the bed frame, so we could just exchange it for something else, or I could paint it white. But I’m torn about doing that because I’m afraid it’s going to look streaky.

colonial headboard, cottage, DagmarBleasdale.comI exchanged the lamp on my side with a milkglass-inspired one from IKEA because I wanted to hang a little picture on the wall, and I added this be fabulous pillow from Marshall’s to our storage ottoman.

"be famulous" pillow from Mashalls

colonial headboard, cottage, DagmarBleasdale.com

chalk paint vintage dresserWould you keep this headboard? Would you paint it white? Or would you exchange the bedside tables for white ones?

Choices, choices, choices…

Brandy @ The Prudent Homemaker April 13, 2016 at 9:44 AM

I think you should do what YOU like best.

I love your bedding! It’s beautiful!

Mila August 27, 2015 at 1:54 PM

I love it as it is :)

Jackie August 21, 2015 at 9:23 PM

I love the headboard. I love the size and the shape. I would also keep it Black. I like the contrast of the black headboard with the light walls, the wood tones of the nightstands, and the white-washed dresser. All of these items together have that collected over time look, that some people have a hard time achieving. I really love the look and feel of your bedroom, very comfy. If I would change anything it would be the small sign above the headboard. It looks too small. You could always add more above the headboard with the sign, making a gallery wall of sorts.

Dagmar Bleasdale August 23, 2015 at 12:16 AM

Thank you for your kind words and idea for bigger art over the headboard! Dagmar

Tara @ Lehman lane August 17, 2015 at 2:50 PM

I like your headboard and I would keep it. I would paint it white or you could recover it you want something a little softer. I would paint your side tables a fun color too:). Thanks so much for sharing your bedroom at Dream. Create. Inspire. Link. I hope you will join us again tomorrow night. Take care, Tara

Lory from The Robin's Nest Designs August 16, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Hi! I would paint the headboard and the end tables. :) I love all of your decor. So cute! Thanks so much for sharing at The Living With Style Linky Party. I hope to see you again this week. Doors open Wednesday at 5:30 EST.

Becky August 14, 2015 at 9:09 AM

I think this headboard is fantastic and it totally works. It wouldn’t work if everything else matched and it stuck out like a sore thumb, but your style is clearly eclectic and this fits right in with that. I like the lived-in, collected look. And I think a bigger headboard makes a bigger statement, which is really great. Keep it!

Dagmar Bleasdale August 15, 2015 at 10:31 PM

Thanks for your input, Becky! Eclectic is right :)

Liz @ Infuse With Liz August 13, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Sounds like you don’t like the black and since you have the white dresser it seems like white is the way to go. Painting the night stands to match would unify the pieces. Or just paint the night stands black to go with the bed.

Dagmar Bleasdale August 14, 2015 at 1:06 AM

Thanks for your input, Liz!

Cathy, 1929 Charmer Cottage August 13, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Hi, I’m not one who’s all into matching matching in a room. I think you headboard adds interest and provides punch to all the other elements in the room too. I like the headboard and would paint the side table to math.

Dagmar Bleasdale August 13, 2015 at 12:49 PM

Hi Cathy, thanks for your input – I appreciate it!

Bridget - The Recipe Wench August 13, 2015 at 7:25 AM

How fun! I love watching people re-decorate! Thanks for sharing your story with us at the Inspire Me Mondays Link-Up! Best of luck to you and your furniture!

Cathy August 10, 2015 at 4:31 PM

Love your room and that headboard is awesome – but I agree with these ladies – maybe paint it and the night tables to match the dresser. Can’t wait to see what you decide. Thank you for sharing at Share It One More Time. Cathy

Kelley August 10, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Paint the headboard and side tables white to match your dresser.

michelle August 9, 2015 at 9:48 AM

i 2nd what karren said. get 1,2,3 primer and trim paint. it covers amazingly i use just it when painting trim. on furniture i would suggest use it as a primer and then top w/paint to make sure it’s durable.

Robin @ Redo It Yourself Inspirations August 6, 2015 at 7:10 PM

Yes! Paint it white and the side tables too. It will pull the whole room together and go nicely with the bedding. If you prefer the side tables remain as is, maybe bring the headboard back to wood grain. Great bedroom!

Karren Haller August 6, 2015 at 5:47 PM

I can easily see this headboard in white, so much so I found one so similar to yours I had to share http://marisahowarddesign.com/tag/headboard/ then you could also paint the night stands to match and they would go nicely with your dresser, which is beautiful!! Thats my thought. It will be fun to see what you decide to do.

Have a great weekend!

Dagmar ~ Dagmar's Home August 6, 2015 at 9:13 PM

Thanks for finding that, Karren! That is so beautiful! Now I definitely want to paint it white.

Ciara Spillane August 6, 2015 at 3:49 PM

I think it would be lovely painted white or brought back to a natural wood finish if possible.

Nancy August 6, 2015 at 3:40 PM

I’d do something with the side tables. The black headboard looks better than the side tables. Maybe you could paint the side tables white with black detailing?