Our Tour of the Bremen Marketplace and Schnoor, Germany

by Dagmar Bleasdale on July 13, 2015

103aWe are back in New York, but I have many more pictures of our visit to Bremen, Germany, my hometown.

After we stayed with my friend Karen on her farm in the country, we took the train back to Bremen, where my mom picked us up.

058aHer sister also came into town for the day, and we all met up with my brother Oliver in the town center.

My brother is a tour guide and offers several walking tours of places in the center of Bremen. He had offered to give us a tour of the Marketplace and the Schnoor, two of my favorite spots in Bremen.

066aBut first we had something to eat at a restaurant in one of the side streets near the marketplace.

067bI drank a Radler: Beck’s beer, which is made in Bremen, and Sprite. It’s a yummy, sweet drink perfect for the summer. Perfect for the heatwave we had.

The next time you see a Beck’s beer bottle, take a look at it and you’ll see the key to the city of Bremen. From now on you’ll always think of me when you see a Beck’s beer :)

070aBremen Marketplace and Schnoor, Germany

Then the tour began, and we walked to the maketplace. That’s the “Dom” in the foreground.

074aI’ve obviously seen all of this hundreds of times in my life growing up in Bremen, but Oliver showed us pictures on his iPad of what the buildings looked like before the war and after the war, and it was fascinating to see the difference.

Bremen was bombed to pieces in World War II, and luckily many buildings were rebuilt to their former glory.

Bremen marketplace, Germany, DagmarBleasdale.comThis is the Rathaus and the famous Roland statue. Landon has visited this part of Bremen with me many times — here he is at 2 1/2 years old, listening to street musicians.

Bremen Marketplace and Roland, DagmarBleasdale.com

Bremen marketplace, Germany, DagmarBleasdale.comOliver with Landon and the Bremer Stadtmusikanten (Bremen Town Musicians). These are not the original ones, of course, those are nearby on the side of the Rathaus.

089aOn the way to the Schnoor, Oliver showed us this awesome antique staircase.

094aThis tiny store — the Schnoorkramerei — at the beginning of the Schnoor is always my first stop.

100aThe Schnoor offers many cafes and bakeries, and all kinds of galleries, gift stores, and more.

103aWe always take a peek into the teddy bear store.

107a

106a

Schnoor, Bremen, Germany, DagmarBleasdale.com

Schnoor, Bremen, Germany, DagmarBleasdale.com110a

Schnoor, Bremen, Germany, DagmarBleasdale.comThe Schnoor dates back to medieval times — this house was built over 610 years ago!

118a

If you’ve been following my blog for a few years, you know that I eat German poppy seed cake almost every day I’m visiting. Can’t get enough of it. So of course I couldn’t resist this “Mohnkuchen” with almond paste.

I’ve blogged about making German poppy seed cake years ago — here is the recipe.

German poppy seed cake, DagmarBleasdale.com126aAfter having such a lovely time, L and I got on the tram to get back to my mom’s house. He requested to use the tram, one of his favorite things to do there, and my mom drove my aunt and herself back in her car.

Have you ever been to Germany?

If you ever get the chance to visit Bremen, definitely check out the Bremen marketplace and Schnoor. And you already know who to books as a tour guide :)

Liz Jo August 25, 2016 at 4:36 PM

Such a gorgeous place!!

Thanks for linking up with Welcome Home Wednesdays! Live every Wednesday at 7AM CT.

liz @ j for joiner

Crystal Green August 13, 2016 at 10:10 PM

Wow!! What a beautiful place to go see. I love all the designs of the buildings there. There are so many details in everything there.

Thank you for sharing this with us on the #HomeMattersParty. We hope to see you again next week when we open our doors at 12AM EST on Friday.

the cape on the corner August 8, 2016 at 2:26 PM

beautiful photos! you can’t compete with that history and architecture, it’s why europe holds such interest for me! we spent about 3 weeks austria in june, going into germany for 2 days and down to slovenia for 2 days. the food in the region was deelish!
b

Hayani October 17, 2015 at 4:58 AM

Its interesting that this was reproted in the Toronto Star. Toronto transit system is built off of a network concept as were here our transit system is based off of a spoke systems. There are advantages of spoke systems but they are also poorly suited for travel that doesn’t go into the CBD.I think that metro should look a moving towards a network system. I think this could be accomplished by upgrading existing routes that have high ridership to BRT (44,48 come to mind) and improve transferring.

Beth F August 5, 2015 at 8:26 AM

I loved exploring the little shops in Bremen — I even recognized some of the buildings you show here. Looks like it was a beautiful day when you were there.

ann July 15, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Been there several times and want to return and will definitely know who to hire as guide. Many many happy family memories of our times in that country. It is beautiful and beer is the best. Got out my old cookbook Munich Oktoberfest by Jost Niemeir and made schweinswurstl mit Sauerkraut and my 6 yr, old grandson grilled.

Dagmar Bleasdale July 16, 2015 at 1:38 AM

So wonderful that you have been able to spend some time in Germany,

Barb Diffenderfer July 13, 2015 at 9:38 AM

Love, Love Love each and every pix of your trip! I’m new, several weeks, and have enjoyed your trip home. I live in the town of Manheim, Pa. My last name, Diffenderfer, and my “other” last name, Groff (Goff) are German too. Thank You for sharing your trip and beautiful son, (family,too) . Really makes me what to travel!!!

michelle July 13, 2015 at 9:27 AM

I have never been to Germany, but it looks amazingly beautiful! It’s so awesome that Landon gets to see and visit where you grew up. can’t wait to see more!