I love almond paste, also known as Marzipan in Germany, where I grew up. It’s usually pretty expensive, so when I saw cans of almond paste for sale at the grocery store for $2, I bought two of them.
Only, it wasn’t almond paste as I discovered when I opened the first can: it was almond cake filling. Hmm.
I’m too frugal to just throw it out, so I decided to make the almond cake recipe that’s on the can’s wrapper since I had all the ingredients in the house.
Well, you know me, I always improvise and try to make every recipe more healthy, and I ended up substituting a lot of the ingredients.
I used mostly organic ingredients, but you don’t have to. Also, not everybody has Xylitol or chia seeds in the house, so just substitute what you can.
Wondering what Xylitol is? I wrote this post about it: Xylitol: The Natural Sweetener With Many Health Benefits.
Wondering what chia seeds are? They are powerhouses of protein and Omega-3 that I also added to this recipe: Gluten-Free Brownies With Chia Seeds and Apple Sauce
My Recipe for Whole-Wheat Almond Cake with Chia Seeds:
- 1/2 cup of organic butter (instead of 1 cup)
- 1 cup Xylitol (instead of sugar)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of apple sauce (to make up for the butter I left out)
- 1 can of almond cake filling
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour (instead of 2 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup of flax chia seed meal (as a substitute for more flour)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 rice milk (instead of cow’s milk)
- optional: add 2 tsp of chocolate chips to top, or nuts, or raisins…
- I left out the 1/2 tsp of salt the original recipe calls for
Almond Cake Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Grease and flour 10″ or 12-cup pan — I used my glass one.
- Beat butter, apple sauce, and Xylitol (or sugar) in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well.
- Beat in almond filling.
- Stir flour, flax, chia seeds, and baking powder together and add to almond mixture alternately with milk.
- Beat until blended and spread batter in pan. Optional: add chocolate chips to top
- Bake 50 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool completely.
Linked up to: