Picnik is Closing, Introducing PicMonkey Online Photo Editing

by Dagmar Bleasdale on March 29, 2012

If you are a blogger who likes to edit photos or create banners or buttons yourself, like me, listen up: there is a new online photo editing site!

I just found out about PicMonkey today, tried it, and am so excited about it, I just had to tell you about it right away.

I’m in love, and you will as well. After finding out that Google is closing their online photo editing site Picnik I used to use, I was at a loss as to what to do now.

Google+ promises to offer similar features once Picnik closes on April 19, 2012, but now I don’t even have to familiarize myself with those — I’m a PicMonkey fan!

PicMonkey is a truly free photo editing service, you don’t even have to sign up for it. It looks like that means you can’t save your creations for the future on their site, but that is okay by me.

See that button on the top? It took me about five minutes to make that. I’m not a webdesign or photo editing whiz, but anyone can create a button on PicMonkey. The site is pretty self-explanatory, and you will figure out it’s features in no time.

Here are just a few other photos I edited to give you an idea of the editing options you have with PicMonkey:

PicMonkey makes is super easy to add a watermark to any picture. This is becoming increasingly important if you add your photos to Pinterest because people often don’t pin photos from the original source.

By adding a waermark of your site somewhere in the photo, you are making it easier for someone to know where the photo is coming from — and harder for them to not give you the credit.

It’s not the prettiest solution, and I still don’t put watermarks on all of my pictures, but I’m going to make an effort to at least add them to buttons I create.

Try out PicMonkey and let me know how you like it!

emily June 23, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I am in love with picmonkey! I actually love it more than Picnik because of the fact its free and has more features. But recently I’ve been having problems saving my photos. I click on ‘save photo’ and when i type a new name and click save it doesnt do anything. Is this happening to anyone else? if so please respond i need help figuring it out :P

Andi Johnson April 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Thanks for pointing this out, Dagmar! I love PicMonkey. I’ve used Picnik through Picassa and Constant Contact. I was wondering how the next one would work.

Maggie April 18, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Oh my gosh! PicMonkey even has stuff Picnik didn’t have! Seriously impressed, PicMonkey.

Maggie April 18, 2012 at 12:27 AM

So excited to be using PicMonkey! Thanks so so much for writing about an alternative to Picnik! I was devastated when Picnik closed. I have a small Etsy based graphic design business and I would use some of Picnik’s features in my products! PicMonkey seems like the perfect alternative to Picnik :) I think I read somewhere that the people that engineered PicMonkey are Picnik’s old photo editing engineers! I’m super happy that they broke from Google Plus and went off on their own.

Anyways, thanks so much for the article! I had read a bunch of other blog posts about Picnik alternatives and I saw PicMonkey there but never got the chance to try it out. Then I read your post and it persuaded me :)

Allison April 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Did you have any problems saving your edited photo? Tried Picmonkey today and couldn’t seem to see saved image on my computer and it keeps telling me I haven’t saved it yet. I do see compression green bar go across and I’m using google chrome. Any advice? Thanks.

Natalie Z March 31, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. What I usually used has undergone some changes that are not working for me so I am off to check PicMonkey out!

Verena March 31, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Ach danke für den Tipp! Das werde ich bestimmt mal ausprobieren!

Liebe Grüße und einen schönen Sonntag!

adrienne March 30, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I’ll have to check out that site. I loved picnik! I’ve been using fotoflexer lately.

Kristin M March 30, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Thanks for the info! I was beginning to feel lost knowing Picnik wouldn’t be around anymore. Glad I came across this post! I’m going to check out PicMonkey right now. :)

Kenneth March 30, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Perfect, was wondering where Picnik would end up. Thanks for sharing, very valuable for me.

Marie Johnson March 30, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Thanks for this post! I have been thinking that I should find a place to edit my pictures for my blog.
I also posted about PicMonkey and mentioned you in my post.