Losing 10 Pounds and Getting Back into Shape

by Dagmar Bleasdale on February 2, 2012

How I’m Losing 10 Pounds

I’m on a mission — to lose 10 pounds and to get fit and toned again.

That’s me three weeks ago — at 137 pounds. Oofta.

Yep, I have the Kim Kardashian bootie going on — but not in a good way.

I have been working out with a wonderful personal trainer for a few months, but three weeks ago I joined his 8-Week Challenge and things are finally moving in the right direction.

I worked out with Neil twice a week in the last three weeks, am eating more protein and trying to drink more water. I was feeling a little more toned, but I’m so used to the scale not moving even though I have pretty healthy eating habits that I was surprised to find out today that I lost more than 2 inches around my waist after three weeks. Yay!

That might be nothing to someone else, but I needed that reassurance. For the first time in a long time I feel encouraged that I will get back into shape again.

How did I gain weight and get so out of shape?

Before I met Don, I used to spin several times a week and did yoga once a week. Then I met Don when I tried out the yoga class he was teaching. We got married a year later, and I got pregnant two months later.

I was about seven months pregnant in this picture, and hiking in Santa Barbara:

I kept working out throughout my pregnancy and only stopped spinning when my knees kept hitting my belly. I figured that meant it was about time to get off the bicycle. I took my last yoga class a day before L was born.

The 35 pounds I put on during the pregnancy came off pretty quickly. I wasn’t in a rush — it had taken 10 months to put them on, so I was going to give myself some time to take it off. I think it took about six months. It was easy — all I had to do was breastfeed Landon.

Breastfeeding was the best diet I’ve ever been on, for three years. I went from a size 8 pre-baby to a size 6, and sometimes even a 4. For the first time in my life I could eat anything I wanted and wasn’t putting on weight; I even lost weight. While I used to like to work out, I was now not interested in it anymore, going so far as writing posts about being a “former exercise fan.”

When L was about 3, I was still nursing him but noticed that I was starting to gain weight again. Little by little, a few pounds here and there. I’d lose some and gain some back.

But it wasn’t just the weight. Five extra pounds isn’t that dramatic, but I was starting to feel out of shape and flabby because I wasn’t working out, which made me feel like I had gained 10+ pounds.

I think it’s a combination of not having to run after a toddler anymore, starting to write my blog and sitting for hundreds of hours, not working out, breastfeeding less, and getting older — my metabolism just isn’t the same it was five years ago.

So even though I wasn’t eating more, I kept gaining weight.

A few months ago, I couldn’t fit into my size 6 clothes anymore. I have my size 8 jeans somewhere, but I didn’t want to dig for them.

Eventually, I had to buy new jeans to feel comfortable, but I was miserable. I felt like I had a tire around me all day. This wasn’t my body, this was not who I wanted to be, and these extra rolls felt awful.

I have so many cute tops that I never wore last summer or the summer before because they don’t fit. I refuse to buy new ones when all it takes is some self-control and exercising to get back into the ones I have. I had been spoiled for three years while breastfeeding. Now I was mad at myself and frustrated, which made me eat even more.

Why couldn’t I lose some measly 10 pounds when other people, can lose 14 in just four weeks?

Around the New Year, I decided enough is enough. I had two options: either make peace with these extra 10 pounds or do something about it so I can finally stop obsessing about it.

So I’m making changes, and they are paying off. To be honest, the number of pounds I’ll lose is less important to me — I want to feel toned again and get back into  my size 6 clothes.

I hope the inches keep coming off. After today’s encouraging news, I can’t wait to see how many inches I’ll lose in 8 weeks. I found cute Adidas workout pants and a sweatshirt for just $25 yesterday at Kohl’s, and I’m ready to conquer these extra pounds.

Look out for tomorrow’s post if you’re also interested in getting back in shape. I might just have a free tool that will help you keep track of your success.

Did motherhood cause you to put on the pounds? What is keeping you from getting back in shape?

internet August 7, 2014 at 2:45 AM

I got this web page from my buddy who informed me about this web page
and at the moment this time I am browsing this site and reading very informative posts at
this time.

working From home part time August 6, 2014 at 1:53 AM

Asking questions are actually fastidious thing if you are not understanding anything completely,
however this article gives pleasant understanding even.

top muscle building Supplements August 5, 2014 at 7:29 AM

I’m curious to find out what blog platform you happen to be using?

I’m having some small security issues with
my latest blog and I would like to find something more risk-free.
Do you have any suggestions?

his explanation August 5, 2014 at 1:24 AM

Hey there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if
you knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having difficulty finding one?
Thanks a lot!

kasyno July 18, 2014 at 2:19 AM

Whats up very cool site!! Man .. Beautiful .. Amazing .. I will bookmark
your web site and take the feeds also? I am happy to
search out a lot of helpful information right here within the post, we’d like develop extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing.
. . . . .

anaccruz.blogspot.com July 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Greetings! Very useful advice in this particular post!
It is the little changes which will make the most significant changes.
Thanks a lot for sharing!

used car dealers in austin texas June 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I needed to thank you for this excellent read!! I absolutely loved every bit of it.

I have you saved as a favorite to check out new stuff you
post…

Chans Fam February 6, 2012 at 8:41 PM

YOU CAN DO IT! I am NOT the exercising type, but after having #1 I was bound to make a change! I finally reached my goal and of course am now pregnant with #2. Isn’t that how it happens. Here’s my weight loss journey: http://notsosloth.blogspot.com/2012/01/weighing-on-my-mind-with-2-weighing-on.html I would love to hear some suggestions on adapting a healthy lifestyle to pregnancy!

Jamie H February 4, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Motherhood caused me to gain 25.5 lbs. I weighed 125 lbs pre-pregnancy with my first daughter. I weighed 135ish pre-pregnancy with my second. In the last 3 years I’ve gained 20 lbs! Size 6 is a LONG way away. Went to size 8-10 after my second and now I’m flirting with size 12 at 150.5 lbs (pre-current weight loss). I refused to go to size 12 so I got My Fitness Pal on my phone and joined the gym. Can’t afford a personal trainer but I’m trying to keep myself motivated. I’ve lost 5 lbs since starting My Fitness Pal the day after Christmas. I’m proud of myself and comfortably (on most days) fit into my size 10. I’ll be happy to fit back into 8s at 135 lbs but would LOVE to go back to 6 at 125!
Sorry for the rant…

Dagmar February 5, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I don’t have money for a personal trainer either — we barter. Maybe you could barter as well :)

Jeanette February 3, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Good luck!! I have some pounds to lose too, so I’ll be following you for inspiration! ;)

Monique February 3, 2012 at 12:06 AM

YoU inspire me! I’m sure you hear this all the time — you look so much younger than 40. I am a 41 yr old mom of one plus twins who has just recently come to terms with the fact that my metabolism isn’t what it used to be. I stopped working out for 2 months and now find myself with around 4-6 extra inches of flab and lard. Just returned to my gym this week and aiming to lose said offensive lard and 12 lbs by April. Can’t wait to see your post tomorrow! Thanks and here’s to bidding adieu to those unwanted lbs!!

Dagmar February 3, 2012 at 2:52 AM

Let’s encourage each other :)

Jasanna February 2, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Yay! I feel inspired. I have problems making time to work out and i am comfortably floating between 125 and 130…but feel great at 120. hopefully soon!

annette February 2, 2012 at 10:27 PM

good for you, link up on my blog Im hosting weight loss wednesdays but I have a BIG goal

annette February 2, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Gemma Ray February 2, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Wow! You do not look 40!
Good luck on the weight loss, it’s Blummin hard work. I’ve lost 19lbs since the third week in November and I’m so happy. I’ve completely changed my life and it’s brilliant. Don’t feel too bad about the scales. Mine haven’t been moving too quick but the visual results are amazing. (I’ll try link up my last post about it).
I’m addicted to myfitnesspal.com for free food logging, motivation and encouragement. I couldn’t have done as well on my health and fitness journey without it.
I wish you all the best!
Gem x

Dagmar February 2, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Thank you, Gem, for the compliment. I’m actually going to be 42 in August :) Congrats on your weight loss!

PragmaticMom February 2, 2012 at 6:29 PM

You look great and I know that you can do it! Try Kickboxing with your personal trainer. It’s my secret weapon to stay in shape. You get a double workout because it’s cardio and impact b/c you have to absorb your own force when punching/kicking the heavy bag. I did yoga for 3 years and my arms were never as good as when I did Kickboxing only once a week. Nothing seems to work as well for triceps! Plus it’s great for self defense!