Why I’m Proudly Nursing a Preschooler

by Dagmar Bleasdale on July 18, 2011

Signing “I love you.”

After noticing a tweet about it, I just read Breastfeeding: How long is too long? I asked the same exact question a while ago for this post: The Many Benefits of Extended Breastfeeding.

I’m still breastfeeding my son, who is now 4 years and 8 months old, so of course I have an opinion about this subject. I read many of the comments for that post and was going to leave my own, but comments have been closed. And judging by this blogger’s Twitter stream, she never responds to tweets, she just tweets out her blog posts.

So since I can’t leave a comment on the post or respond on her Twitter stream, I’m writing down what would have been my response right here:

“How long is too long? In my opinion there isn’t such a thing as breastfeeding too long. Either the child or the mom will at some point decide that it’s time to stop. As long as both mom and child want to keep doing it, where is the harm?

There are only benefits, considering the myriad of health benefits breastfeeding brings for the child and the mom.

You write, “My experience has led to the assumption that it is just too difficult for these women to allow their children to grow up.”

How many moms do you know that have breastfeed their child past the recommended two years? And do you realize that you can’t force a child to nurse?

A mother can decide to let a child self-wean, but she can not decide when that child will wean.

That’s up to the child. When he or she is done, that’s it, regardless of how much the mother might wish to continue.

I’ve never heard of a mom of a preschooler who coaxed her child to nurse again. (I’m talking about older children here, not infants who sometimes go on temporary nursing strikes. Infants clearly aren’t signaling they are done with breastfeeding when they don’t want to eat since they obviously need to eat to survive — you need to find the other cause for why the baby isn’t eating and then breastfeeding can resume).

I’m proudly breastfeeding a child that is 4 years and 8 months old. While I never foresaw he would be doing it this long, I believe in self-weaning and he still wants to nurse to sleep and for a few minutes when we cuddle on the sofa. I see nothing wrong with that and we are not bothering anyone. The fact that he has no desire to nurse in public since he was 3 years old shows me he is self-weaning himself, just slower and later than other kids.

I have yet to find any research that shows that extended breastfeeding is in any way harmful to a child. I have only found research that shows that kids that get breastfed longer than their peers are often more intelligent, healthier, and very independent and self-assured.

Actress Mayim Bialik, Blossom on TV, wrote I Breastfeed My Toddler. Got A Problem With It? and I love and agree with her reason for extended breastfeeding:

“There is no respected scientific statistical evidence that children who self-wean are brattier, more spoiled, less independent, less socialized, or less productive in society. To the contrary, studies show that children who self-wean have learned that their needs are important, their development does not proceed according to anyone else’s timetable, and they are confident that love is abundant.”

If I had any indication his nursing would harm him, believe me, I would gently wean him. He actually never mentions to others that he’s still nursing, the subject just doesn’t come up, so he has been free of judgment from others that could influence him to wean faster.

So since I’m nursing a preschooler, you assume I don’t want him to grow up. Will I miss nursing him? Absolutely.

Breastfeeding has unexpectedly become such a big part of my life — because I have not only been doing it for a long time but have also become an outspoken advocate of breastfeeding and written about my experience with (extended) breastfeeding often on Dagmar’s momsense in the last 2 1/2 years — so of course I will miss it.

I will miss it a lot, especially since he will be my only child, but I will be ready. I’ve had longer than most moms to mentally prepare myself, so of course I’m ready! I just recently blogged about why I’m ready to wear my deflated, small boobs proudly as a badge of honor after the marathon of breastfeeding they have been through instead of opting for a boob job.

Weaning is one step of my son growing up, and although I — like every other mom in the word — would love to be able to stop time so he doesn’t grow up so fast, I’ll welcome that new milestone. It means new and other fun experiences with him are to come.

I’m looking forward to reclaiming my body after almost 5 year of it being the source of nourishment and nurturing for my son. I can’t wait to finally be able to do a cleanse, which I won’t do right now because I don’t want to take a change that the herbs might be harmful to him.

Nursing a baby is different than nursing a tall preschooler, and it will be interesting to not be called anymore to snuggle with my son in this special way. But it will also be a welcome change to not have little groping hands pulling on my breasts anymore.

The request for “ba ba” doesn’t come when I feel like nursing him — it comes on my son’s terms, always. I love nursing him, but it’s going to be kind of freeing to not have to answer that request anymore.

I’m so glad I have let my son nurse this long. If I had weaned him, I wouldn’t have known how to get through the 16 hours I was stuck in an airport with him while he had a fever. I wouldn’t have the sweet memory of nursed him to sleep on a ferry a year ago.

I wouldn’t have been able to nurse him right after his tonsillectomy and comfort him in a way only I can. He also wouldn’t have recovered so much faster than other kids from that surgery. And we wouldn’t still have breast milk to soothe and heal every one of his scrapes. Breast milk is amazing in it’s healing powers.

I would’ve missed out on so many other memories I will hold dear forever. Because breastfeeding a preschooler gives you the wonderful experience of your child being able to talk to you about breastfeeding and verbalizing his appreciation. Those are precious moments.

Just a few days ago I nursed my son to sleep on a plane ride from Germany back to the U.S. I never nursed him in public with a cover when he was younger — I had nothing to hide and was comfortable with that. But since he is now a tall 4-year-old, I wanted to be considerate of the passenger next to us and had told L that we would cover him and no one would even know he was nursing to sleep on the long flight.

So when it was time to get him to sleep, I covered him with an old burp cloth and he did the funniest thing that made me crack up so much, I was crying. We both couldn’t stop laughing. He was totally into this being our little secret that he was nursing under there, and once I got him covered and he was latched on, he gave me the biggest grin and — the thumbs-up.

Kind of like this boy:

I will never forget that moment and how much it made me laugh and feel appreciated and strengthened in my motherly instinct that tells me I’m doing the best thing for my son by letting him self-wean. I’m sure he won’t do it much longer.

I’m proudly nursing a preschooler and there is absolutely noting wrong with that.

Sorry that the thought of that makes you uncomfortable, but that is something only you can change if you want to.”

“Yes. I am STILL breastfeeding. Get over it.” and other funny breastfeeding slogans.

{For more amazing photos of breastfeeding kids, visit At Mother’s Breast}

Rebecca February 28, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I am very glad to have stumbled upon your blog! As a still-nursing mother of a 3 year old (3 years and 7 months) in the U.S., I feel so alone sometimes. Not even my best friend knows we are still nursing – only my husband, who is supportive but sometimes succumbs to societal pressures and thinks that maybe it’s gone on too long. I feel exactly the way you describe in this post, and will happily nurse my son as long as he wants to – it nourishes his spirit as well as his body, and I cherish the close relationship we have forged because of it. Breastfeeding has been invaluable for the comfort I’ve been able to provide him in times of illness, insecurity, disappointment, and to soothe all those little bumps and boo-boos! I never imagined that I’d be nursing a preschooler, never imagined that it would be one of the most wonderful, satisfying things about becoming a mother. I just wish I had more people to share that joy with, and that it didn’t have to be this “terrible” or “weird” secret that society makes me feel like it is. Thank you for your comforting, inspiring blog!

Dagmar Bleasdale February 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM

Hi Rebecca, your comment made my day. This is EXACTLY why I blog about extended breastfeeding and am very outspoken about it. I felt the same way — it is so unfortunate that extended breastfeeding isn’t celebrated for the blessing it is to mom and child and that we feel that we have to “hide” past a certain point. I’m so glad you are enjoying that special time — I couldn’t get enough of it because it goes by so fast. I’m glad your husband is supportive. Mine was as well but also succumbed to societal pressures sometimes. I also think they miss us — we give so much to the kids :) Sending a big hug, Dagmar

Teika Bellamy November 22, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I love this post Dagmar. It is heartening and inspiring… As a mother who has been there too (and who is still there) I am all the more appreciative of this. I sometimes write about these things as well, but I tend to use these words: ‘full-term’ or ‘sustained breastfeeding’, because as I’m a pedantic person the word ‘extended’ tends to make me think that there was a time limit to breastfeeding, and somehow my child and I have gone past that time limit. At the end of the day, breastfeeding an older child is just normal, isn’t it? It’s the critics in society and the naysayers who are abnormal.
I’m so glad to have found your great blog and this inspiring post.

Dagmar Bleasdale November 22, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Hi Teika, I’m so glad you found my blog. I wrote many of those kinds of post, just search “extended breastfeeding.” I agree with you about the term. There really isn’t a good term for it :)

Teika Bellamy November 25, 2012 at 4:59 PM

I totally agree Dagmar. There really isn’t a good term for it. It’s just “breastfeeding”. I’m looking forward to reading more of your blog posts, and tweets. Best wishes from the U.K.

Elizabeth May 22, 2012 at 1:49 AM

I love your blogs! SO great. All the controversy over the TIME cover is so silly. It is too bad they couldn’t write a nice informative article about AP or the benefits of extended BFing. I am currently still nursing my son who will be 4 soon, and have been tandem nursing 2 kids for a little over 2 years! I never foresaw nursing this long, but I, like you, am so thankful for it. Nursing has helped us through so many illness, injury, travel and difficult sleep situations. I am so grateful I have something that can pretty much always comfort him, no matter what! I do get a little tired of all the disapproving family members and friends, but they’re not as important as my kids so I don’t care! :) I hope there is far more education on the subject in the future. The ignorance in the US makes me sad. Anyway, great blogs! Happy toddler nursing- Cheers! ;)

Dagmar May 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Hi Elizabeth, I’m so glad you found my blog and are enjoying it :) Yes, breastfeeding is a wonderful tool to have when the kids are older. It’s great to be able to comfort them so easily, and to get them back on their feet faster when they do get sick.

Nikki April 16, 2012 at 11:35 AM

What I want to know is, WHERE did you get that t-shirt?!!! I need it!!! ( :
My DD is 16 months and is still breastfed. :D

Dagmar April 17, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I got it at that CafePress place online. Just google Cafepress with the title of the T-shirt. I love that T-shirt!

Anna December 15, 2011 at 10:26 PM

Thanks for writing this beautiful post. Self weaning is so wonderful. Older children benefit from breastfeeding too as the nutrients is never lost and they get all that comfort and closeness from mom which children need so much.

Desiree Fawn December 15, 2011 at 4:32 PM

LOVE this post!! Thank you!

Dagmar December 15, 2011 at 10:09 PM

Thank you for tweeting and sending it out on Facebook, Desiree :) Means a lot.

Vanessa Jubis December 15, 2011 at 3:12 PM

YAY!! Me too!! My daughter is 3 years and 5 months and we *still* nurse. It’s a special bond and time for us both. I would not change my nursing adventure with her. I’m a long term breastfeeder all the way!!

Happy toddler nursing :)

melanie August 28, 2011 at 4:39 PM

Thank you for your comment on my blog. That shirt at the end made my day! I need it!

Cyndel Jones August 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM

excellent post!
I weaned my older son at 14m, but I wish I had waited, there was a lot I didn’t understand. I plan on nursing DS2 (15 weeks tomorrow!) at least until he is 2, unless he self weans before, perhaps longer…we will take it day by day at that time as my husband is uncomfortable with extended nursing. Hopefully I’ll win him over before the issue becomes and issue!

It also might depend on pregnancy…my mom had bad contractions when she nursed me while early in her pregnancy with my brother. She almost lost him so she weaned me and the contractions stopped. So I’ll be really careful about nursing while pregnant, just in case it is some sort of inherited problem.
Anyway great post!

kyooty August 4, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Way to go!!! I’m proud of your partnership. :) My boys weaned at 15months (I went for surgery),18moths, I got tired of the every second Friday, and 23months when I couldn’t get my youngest to sit down long enough to continue. I wasn’t done but he was so I let him go…

The only “last” I remember was my middle son because I offered it 2wks after realizing he was “done” and that was our last. I could have continued i’m sure but he was ready.

Carol @ The Lazy Mama July 23, 2011 at 3:09 AM

I thought my kid is pretty old at 38 months and still nursing. Glad to meet another preschooler nurser. I guess we kept on nursing because it is too easy. Also, if I wean him, I won’t be as at peace as I am now with his health. I think he is healthier nursing than if we stop. We haven’t tried stopping but I keep on seeing benefits of breastfeeding on him everyday. I’m very glad to meet you on Twitter. :D

Brenda July 22, 2011 at 3:22 PM

Dagmar, Excellent post – My daughter will be 4 at the end of August and we happily nurse at night and occasionally during the day. Everything you said rings true with me.

Nichole July 20, 2011 at 5:36 AM

Thank you for writing this post! I’m planning on letting my son self-wean and he will be 3 this Saturday. I’m not making this a hard and fast rule however, if other things come up and weaning seems to be the best decision for us, then I’m open to that too.

Renee Malove July 19, 2011 at 3:15 PM

This is an interesting post :) My son self-weaned at 10 mos, which made this decision a moot point all the way around in my home, but many other cultures nurse well past the typical first year encouraged in the US. I see nothing wrong with it. Children are able to continue to receive the health benefits of breastfeeding, you both maintain that comfortable connection. And he’ll stop when he’s ready, much like walking and potty-training and every other developmental milestone we push our children to achieve. I say thumbs up to you for encouraging breastfeeding, and for being okay with those who chose to wean their children earlier in the game. Because when you get right down to it, the two of you are the only ones that matter.

rachel July 19, 2011 at 6:19 AM

I loved breastfeeding my children, and it’s one of the things I miss -being able to give them comfort and show them love in a way that is so completely feminine.

Most of my children self-weaned sometime by the time they were 2 1/2, so I can’t say I’ve had experience with nursing bigger kids, although like you say, I know how it is when you look around and suddenly they are 3 or 4, or whatever age.

But don’t you think there is some sort of upper limit? There’s a well-known video on YouTube of a mother who’s chosen to let her 8 year old child still nurse, and for me, that’s really too big.

Of course it’s her own choice, and I guess the child is comforted by it (though her older sister, who stopped at 5, seems a bit jealous), but I think that even in most “primitive” cultures kids stop by then.

What do you think?

Dagmar July 19, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Eight would be too old for me as well. I have heard that nature puts a stop to breastfeeding at some point and the child just unlearns to suck that way. I think if L goes past 5, I might encourage him to wean. But who knows :)

Liz July 19, 2011 at 4:28 AM

I choked up myself reading the part about your son latching on the plane, and giving a thumbs up.
What trust and utter beauty that moment was for you both.
I am so thrilled you share this with us, the world wide web. It is women like you who help to change our sexist cultures ideals.
Rock on Dagmar!

Sarah P July 19, 2011 at 4:50 AM

Good for you! I think it’s great. I’m nursing my 21-month-old currently and planning to allow him to self-wean. My older son self-weaned at 18 months; I did not expect it and I wasn’t ready, but it was what was best for him. Great post!

Melissa July 19, 2011 at 4:40 AM

A beautifully worded response! I agree with every word, and love the story about the thumbs up. That’s awesome. My 16 month old isn’t feeling very well today, so she has been nursing almost non-stop. I am so thankful that I still have this wonderful tool to comfort her when she’s not well.

Dagmar July 19, 2011 at 2:38 PM

Isn’t that the best, to have nursing when they don’t feel well? It’s such a relief to know your child won’t get dehydrated and at least gets the calories from breast milk if he or she doesn’t feel like eating.

Lisa @Granola Catholic July 19, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Congrats, you have a special relationship with your son. I was devastated when my son, who is my youngest decided to self wean at the age of two. This was a shock to me, considering that my daughters both nursed passed three years. But not to worry, as a very tall 7 year old he still likes to crawl into my lap and cuddle. I don’t know what we will do when he is too tall to fit on my lap.

kristin July 19, 2011 at 4:30 AM

I am moved to tears.

I am sad that you cried on the plane, and that he hid.

You are truly wonderful.

Dagmar July 19, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Hi Kristin, you misunderstood me, I was crying because I was laughing so hard at my little smart boy who had his mouth full but wanted to signal that he was enjoying his snack LOL

Leigh Anne O'Connor July 19, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Hi Dagmar,
Lovely story! You may still get groped! :-)
I have been leading a LLL Toddler Meeting in Manhattan for about a dozen years and it feeds my soul!
Check out my website – in did an interview on The Doctors on this very subject.
~Leigh Anne

Cecilia @ Parenting Controversy July 19, 2011 at 1:15 AM

I found my way to this post via a comment you left on my blog post in which I admitted that I had breastfed my daughter until she was 4 years old… http://bit.ly/kteViA

And I’m so glad that I did!

Oh my goodness… never before have I sat reading a blog post and felt so understood and “at home”. Thank you so much for being so open and honest about breastfeeding your son beyond toddlerhood.

I love your t-shirt and I love that photo of the little boy smiling while he is latched on to his mother’s breast… it brought back to me a flood of wonderful memories of my daughter doing the exact same thing when my mother would joke around with her saying things like: “Oh yuk, get off there, you’re too big for that now.” I can still see her precious little face with her nipple-filled mouth grinning, just as if it was yesterday. (She’s 9 now)

This post was an absolute joy to read… you’ve made my day. Thank you.

Brynna July 18, 2011 at 5:18 PM

I really think this is a wonderful post.

My eldest weaned this past winter at 4 years and 10 months. Very few people knew she was still nursing (I admit it was out of fear of dealing with their rude comments and negativity that I kept quiet), but she is perfect proof that children WILL stop on their own. I did encourage it only in the slightest bit (but not for weaning reasons)…when she was about ready to stop, I made sure that we set up a special time for her to nurse for the last time, and she agreed. I wanted to be able to remember that last time, and not just have t realize that it happened in hindsight. (that was my fear)

I am still nursing two other children so I was able to smoothly transition back into tandem nursing from triandem nursing (and I’m grateful for that, as I wasn’t sure how it would feel to have my nursing relationship with my first child come to an end), but I love seeing how we had those *almost* 5 precious years sharing and bond that was only between she and I. I wouldn’t change a thing.

The only thing that does come to mind is wondering how long my other children will nurse. Will they continue as long as my daughter? Will they wean much sooner? It’ll be interesting to see how child-led weaning works for different children.

Brynna July 18, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I should also mention that by the time my daughter weaned, she was only nursing maybe one every 2-3 days (if that). Sometimes she’d go a week or two in between the times she’d nurse. That is just more proof (IMO) that they do gradually cut back. It seems like most people (who have NOT “been there”) seem to think that if a child is still nursing at ages 3 or 4 then they are nursing regularly throughout the day and are getting breastmilk as their primary nourishment. That may be true for some, but not for all. Watching my daughter was proof to me that it really is a natural process that changes as they age, until it eventually comes to an end and they move on.

People are so big on reminding parents to treasure these times and that “they grow up so fast,” yet by forcing them to wean before they are ready, we are directly contributing to that. Kind of a double standard. I know plenty of people who frown on breastfeeding at a certain age, yet still allow their own child to have a pacifier at that same age.

I also think this is one of those things where you can’t really judge until you’ve been there. I NEVER would have thought I’d be nursing two or three children at once, much less having one of them be nearly 5 years old. Heck, I thought I’d stop at 18 months or so. And I admit that I likely frowned upon nursing a preschool back then, too. But now that I’ve been there, I see it COMPLETELY differently.

Dagmar July 18, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Brynna, that is such a great point. Until you are faces with a child that still wants to nurse at 4-years old, you can’t know how you would react. It’s also such a gradual evolution. First they are a baby, then 1, then 2, and all of a sudden they are four. The years go by so fast.

Also, most people see nothing wrong with kids still being attached to a bottle or a sippy cup or pacifier at age 4, so why is the way nature intended to provide for a child more controversial? Our society is so messed up when it comes to judging moms who breastfeed and making it so hard for moms to successfully breastfeed in the first place. That’s why I was a mom who breastfeed in public whenever L was hungry so that people get more familiar with that sight as the most natural thing in the world. I can’t stand it that some moms feel intimidated to nurse in public. It’s so unfortunate. Moms who breastfeed should get nothing but encouraging looks.

Ameena Falchetto (MummyinProvence) July 18, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Your child, your breast, your choice. Dammit, what is wrong with people? If it works for you it works. Admittedly your son is older than my personal cut off age of 48 months but BiP is only 15m so it’s easy for me to say when I’d stop until that age comes upon us.
Good for you mama and the pics are gorgeous!

M D July 18, 2011 at 8:07 PM

We call it “extended breastfeeding” in this country if you allow your child to n nurse more than a few months, which shows you our point of reference. It would be more accurate to say that the common practice in the West is actually EARLY weaning. See this anthropologist’s link about the true natural age of weaning in human cultures, and compare it to the fad of the last 100 years in the West (marketing-driven by formula manufacturors) of early weaning: http://www.kathydettwyler.org/detwean.html

Dagmar, you don’t have to insist that “there’s nothing wrong with it.” Don’t let narrowminded, uneducated nitwits put you on the defensive. Be proud!

Brynna July 18, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Great point. I’ve tried to stop using the term “extended breastfeeding” unless I’m referring to nursing my 3-4 year old’s (even then I’ve tried to reword it, as I want to normalize breastfeeding at that age, not make it seem like something out of the ordinary). The few people who I’ve had the opportunity to tell that even the WHO recommends BF’ing for at LEAST 2 years are shocked to learn that.

Not Blessed Mama July 18, 2011 at 7:45 PM

i have been making milk for over 10 years straight now, and all of my kids have nursed past 4 years. it’s something i love and am proud of, but rarely discuss because i don’t want the judgement from society.

Dagmar July 18, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Wow, you are a great example then that kids nurse a lot longer just naturally when they are allowed to! Thanks for sharing, but to bad that moms are made to feel it’s something they better hide by our society.

I won’t hide – I want to change that.

Angela (Toucan Scraps) July 18, 2011 at 7:40 PM

great post Dagma.

I didn’t manage to breastfeed that long, but I was constantly criticised by family and friends for bfeeding longer than 3 months. I was told they would be spoiled, selfish, and unable to be independent.

Well my now 7yo (bf 15mths) got a great school report including “she is very mature and a roll model for her peers”.

Dagmar July 18, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Three months? People are so ill-informed when it comes to breastfeeding, it’s tragic.

It is now recommended to breastfeed for two years for maximum benefits, and longer if mutually desired, just want to mention that here again.

Ameena Falchetto (MummyinProvence) July 18, 2011 at 8:41 PM

In France I was told that breastfeeding past 3 months would make my baby needy and it was actually just for my own pleasure … ho hum … it’s a personal choice but I HATE people who try to discourage it and make you feel bad. At 15m I am still having to defend my position to breastfeed. I’ve even “allowed” elderly family friends to try to distract BiP with icecream to which they were met with a furious baby throwing the bowl away in favour of mama’s boobie … and that’s wrong. Apparently.

Alicia July 18, 2011 at 7:01 PM

My big girl last nursed at 4 years 7 months, though she didn’t consider herself weaned until she turned 5. It was really a wonderful experience to let her wean on her own. We know 3 other peers her age who had also not weaned yet.

I am still nursing my 2 year old, but I have a feeling that she won’t nurse nearly as long because she has always seemed less attached to it.

kelly @kellynaturally July 18, 2011 at 5:13 PM

You are awesome, Dagmar.

I breastfed my daughter til she was 4, and my son til he was 3.
I would have gone longer had circumstances & desires at the time worked out in that manner, but as it was, they didn’t, so my children weaned when they, and I, were (mostly) ready. Breastfeeding is wonderful for mothers & babies and children and one of my most beloved experiences so far in parenting.

There is no upper age limit needing to be imposed by anyone other than the mother-child pair. It’s a mutual decision, and no one else’s business. Good for you for standing up for what you believe in.

Meg July 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I relate to your comments about the balance between appreciating breastfeeding and yet looking forward to some aspects of total weaning! You don’t owe anyone an explanation. It’s such a personal journey. Even though I’ve nursed (am nursing) 2 babies that doesn’t qualify as expertise sufficient to judge someone else. :)

I think it would be an interesting series on your blog if you chronicled new things you discover about how to comfort and bond with your son after he is weaned. I bet there will be some interesting new things you and L discover when the time comes to use means other than nursing.

I handed by baby a bottle when she was about 3 days old, on the advice of a lactation consultant (severe problems establishing nursing and she was very dehydrated) – she grabbed onto it with her middle finger sticking out. We’ve always laughed so hard at that picture! Happily the LC was able to get us going on BF and I didn’t have to get the bird from my newborn again.

Dagmar July 18, 2011 at 6:48 PM

Meg, how funny about that “bird” LOL

And thanks for the great suggestion, I will definitely kept that in mind and hope I will have some things to report on what happens after he weaned.

Donna Huebsch July 18, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Way back when, I gave in to what I perceived as societal pressures and made my daughter quit nursing when she turned three. She had tapered off greatly already and just nursed a little for comfort. I wish now that I had let her self-wean. I think it would have been better for her emotionally.

Mama in the City July 18, 2011 at 4:43 PM

I do love the photos of mamas and their babes nursing, but I’m curious why you never post pictures of yourself still nursing your preschooler?

Dagmar July 18, 2011 at 6:46 PM

Well, I just posted a brand-new picture of L right after nursing :) I don’t have many pictures of me nursing because I’m always the one behind the camera, so it’s hard. Have you tried to take a picture while nursing a 4-year-old? LOL

I think so far I have used every picture there is of me nursing. I wish I had a lot more, especially of when L was little.