Take That, Facebook: Beautiful Breastfeeding Photos

by Dagmar Bleasdale on May 27, 2011

{source}

Facebook keeps deleting pictures of moms nursing their children when they have been reported as obscene and is even going as far as suspending accounts (like The Leaky B@@B breastfeeding support group, which is back online after a huge protest).

I’m sick of Facebook not taking a stand that breastfeeding is normal and not obscene. There are plenty of other pictures on Facebook that are really disturbing or sexist — delete those all you want, but leave the little skin you might see of a nursing mother alone!

If a mom wants to post a picture on her Facebook account of nursing her child, she should be allowed to do so. Those moms are, and should be, proud of their accomplishment, and if they feel comfortable to show a little skin in a photo, that’s their prerogative. No one else has to look at it — if you don’t like the picture, don’t look or unfriend that person. It’s very simple.

I don’t believe in making a spectacle our of yourself when you are nursing in public, but I also believe in the right to nurse in public as long as both mom and child desire.

If you don’t want to see a mom nursing, please be courteous and leave and allow that moms to feed her child. Don’t make her feel bad for feeding her child the way nature intended it. Be the adult and let the need of a baby trump your feeling of maybe being a little uncomfortable. That mom doesn’t mean to offend you; she is just responding to her child’s cry for food.

I don’t think anyone has ever seen any skin while I nursed my son in public for three years. And I never used a nursing cover — I don’t have anything to hide, plus they are just not practical. Trying to latch on a child while struggling with a nursing cover will get you more attention in my opinion, but some moms feel more comfortable using one. Most people never even knew I nursed L right next to them.

Since Dagmar’s momsense is my house, I can post whatever I want here. Moms, if you’d like me to post your breastfeeding picture here, email it to me and I’ll happily post it.

Or better yet, let’s show power in numbers and link up a post below that includes a picture of you breastfeeding!

Let’s show Facebook that breastfeeding is beautiful!

{source}

{source}

{source}

Submissions by Dagmar’s momsense readers:

Danika Carter send this poster from the Library of Congress:

from Angela

Link up your breastfeeding picture!

Facebook, we all think breastfeeding is beautiful!

Mission Hot Mama noticed this post and mentioned it here: “Hot Topic: One Mom Shows Facebook Breastfeeding Is Beautiful.” Thanks, Hot Mamas!

Yakini June 4, 2011 at 2:09 AM

This is wonderful, Dagmar!

Desiree Fawn June 1, 2011 at 2:04 AM

Just added a photo of me breastfeeding my 2yo daughter — and it just happens to be my current FB profile pic too!

Dagmar June 1, 2011 at 6:15 AM

Thanks for adding it, Desiree!

Fabulosokids June 1, 2011 at 12:54 AM

I’m with you Dagmar–especially in seeing the photos that were taken down by Facebook. I wonder if you had posted a picture of a baby kissing your knee if they would have pulled it because that’s essentially what it looks like in a couple of those cases. And you’re also right that, even though people may be able to figure out when a mother is breastfeeding in public, they would really have to crane their necks to see an actual breast, covered or not–and even if they could, is it really so shocking? This kind of nonsense gets under my skin, and I hope with people like you our there that it will some day change.

Lily May 31, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Loving this linkup!! I have a whole gallery of my breastfeeding photos on my site! And i loved the one you posted of the woman doing the headstand. :) Very nice.

Vivien May 30, 2011 at 7:43 PM

Hooray for boobies ;-) I just started a FB LLL page for our area, and so far no pictures have been removed. Let’s hope it stays that way…

Zoie @ TouchstoneZ May 30, 2011 at 1:52 AM

Thank you for writing this. I’ve been so frustrated with fb for years over this. The only reason I haven’t left entirely is because it’s my relative’s preferred way of sharing photos and updates with one another. I’ve had enough photos deleted that I have created a backup account in case they ever decide to nuke my real one.

I uploaded 4 photos (10-13) two of which were deleted by fb. I’ve had them delete 4 others, including one that you can’t tell whether I’m breastfeeding or just holding two of my sons-not even my shirt looks wrinkled. Of course, I have my privacy set so only friends can see. It makes me wonder who of my “friends” isn’t really a friend.

Otir May 29, 2011 at 4:30 PM

As a French woman, – who nursed both her children by the way, for as long as until they decided to weane, which even in France was beyond standard acceptance – I have always been appalled at what I call the american prudery – which seems also hypocritical because of the hypersexualism in pictures of little girls, or even woman, when they are used to sell cars or other products.

I find those pictures so much more obscene than a picture of a mother showing love to her baby while she is feeding her or him with her breast milk – same as if she was feeding the baby with bottled milk!

Carol @ The Lazy Mama May 28, 2011 at 5:08 AM

The yoga pose is just amazing!

Marcy May 28, 2011 at 4:41 AM

I just had a breastfeeding pic taken down by Facebook earlier this week (after being up for a few weeks). *sigh* The crappiest part is knowing that since I have my pics set to be viewable by friends only, it was one of my “friends” who flagged it as inappropriate.

BTW I’m curious about what you mean by “making a spectacle of yourself” while breastfeeding in public.

Also, I have to admit… I’m a little leery sometimes when I hear women reason that NIP is ok and should be allowed since it’s very possible to do with no skin showing. To me, that makes it sound like it’s *only* ok as long as we show very little skin (“be discreet”), aka I need to keep the top of my boob covered when breastfeeding. Thoughts?

Dagmar May 28, 2011 at 7:40 PM

I have seen moms breastfeed with their whole breast showing, and although I personally don’t even have a problem with that much showing, I understand that some other people might and might think that is making a spectacle out of yourself.

It should be okay to show some skin, after all you are seeing breasts hanging out of shirts sometimes and no one is going up to that woman and tell her that her low-cut shirt is offending someone — especially no man is going to say that. But because some people are prude or uptight or grew up never seeing their parents naked, I’ve always opted to show as little skin as possible while nursing.

You seriously can’t see anything when I nurse, no one has ever said anything. The kid’s head is in front of the breast, after all! So it can be done discreetly so that both can live amicably next to each other — nursing mom and other people.

Dagmar May 29, 2011 at 3:53 AM

I have been thinking about what you are bringing up: since you can only see someone’s pictures if he or she is a friend/family on Facebook and you approved him or her to see your information and pictures, the only person who can report one of your photos as “obscene” is someone who is your “friend.” That makes this whole thing even more wrong.

Becky May 28, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Thank you for the beautiful words! I wish more people could be adults about nursing in public, and your words helped me prepare for the next time I encounter friction when nursing in public ;)

Dagmar May 28, 2011 at 7:42 PM

I’m so glad I provided some fodder for the next time :)

Jill @BabyRabies May 28, 2011 at 2:42 AM

I’ve had this image up on Facebook since January and it’s still there. Hope it stays that way! Happy to link up :)

Dagmar May 28, 2011 at 7:42 PM

thanks for linking up, Jill!

Emily @ Zweber Farms May 27, 2011 at 7:12 PM

I agree with you completely. Facebook is really dropping the ball on this one. How about all those drunk photos of people? I looked through my photo files, but I have none to share. It is probably because breast feeding is really not “that big of a deal” I am just feeding my child. I also don’t have photos of my children eating solid foods (unless there is a big funny mess). I hope you gets lots of link ups.

Courtney @ The Mommy Matters May 27, 2011 at 6:51 PM

I agree that nursing is a beautiful thing. There are PLENTY of other photos that can be found on Facebook and marked as offensive.

Karen May 27, 2011 at 6:17 PM

I personally don’t post pictures of me nursing my babies on FB or Twitter, I do have friends and family that are more conservative, as well as my employer who would see them, and I don’t feel comfortable with that level of intimacy on there, but I have no issue with others if they want to, that’s fine with me. There are some really offensive and dubious pages and pictures on FB and I don’t consider breastfeeding photos to be amongst them, and people need to get over this huge boob hang up we Westerner’s seem to have!!
That last photo is a bit of an eye opener, I can’t imagine being able to breastfeed in that position!

Odie Langley May 27, 2011 at 5:05 PM

OMG girl that last picture was a doozie. Thanks for the afternoon boost and you have a wonderful weekend.
Odie

Amber May 31, 2011 at 3:52 AM

I think it’s interesting that in certain places in the world where a woman must be covered HEAD TO TOE, breastfeeding in public is NOT obscene. It’s viewed as a sacred responsibility, and no one would dare tell a woman to cover up and feed her child elsewhere. Yet, in the US, where we pride ourselves on being open minded and having freedoms, so many moms encounter objections to the simple act of feeding their child…

Great post!