My Dream Home: 7 Decorating Ideas For My Dream Bedroom

by Dagmar Bleasdale on May 12, 2011

dream bedroom ideasI haven’t covered what my bedroom would look like in My Dream Home series, so here you go — seven decorating elements I would love to have in my dream bedroom:

1. A fun headboard — this brick wall is so pretty, there is no need for another headboard. I also love the little side table lamps.

2. A bench or ottoman at the foot of the bed — this is a must for storage or being able to throw my clothes on.

3. A chandelier — I love this chandelier but I wouldn’t want it hanging right on top of me. I’d hang it in the middle of the room, away from the bed, or over a side table off to the side.

4. A fireplace — I don’t know how practical it actually is to have a working fireplace in the bedroom, especially if it is all-white, but my Jane Austen mind loves the romantic idea of it.

5. Lots and lots of light — and a cute chair next to the bed wouldn’t hurt either. Here is the bench idea again, plus a great use of art work above the headboard.

6. Plenty of storage space — for books and more at arm’s reach.

bedroom storage{source}

7. Something interesting over the headboard — this is another space you can have so much fun with. Add one large painting, add several pictures, add a shelf you can change up all the time…

white bedroom decor and wall decor{source}

What can you not live without in your bedroom? What would you like to add?

Hacketts Pipeline September 24, 2012 at 10:43 AM

My dream bedroom would have a masssive kingsize bed with a comfy matress. I would also like lots of natural light in the room and a comfy vintage chair with Cath Kidston material perhaps. The bed would also be covered in pillows and a beautiful bed throw.

Dina Eisenberg |Speak Up Powerfully May 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM

There is absolutely nothing more soothing or romantic than a fireplace in the bedroom. I had a big old Victorian with a upstairs master suite with a fireplace and walk in closet (lawd, I miss that house…sigh).

One night I was enjoying the rosy flames when there was a bang at the door. Rushing down, I found firemen at my door. The neighbors thought the house was burning down….

I loved that fireplace but didn’t use it much after that. lol

JDaniel4's Mom May 18, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I would love more storage! I love having a light right near my bed for late night reading.

Brenna @ Almost All The Truth May 17, 2011 at 3:54 AM

Oh, I love all of these ideas! That brick wall is my favorite, although I love the all-white look too. I know that would never work in my real life though. :)

Lily May 13, 2011 at 10:39 PM

These bedrooms are GORGEOUS!! Love the chandelier and especially the all white room with the pitched roof and fireplace. So cozy!! Now I want to go tear mine all apart!

Rene W. May 13, 2011 at 9:31 PM

I love all of your dream decorating ideas! Mine is to have a black leather head-board to go with the b&w theme I now have. I love the sleek lines & simplicity. Found you on Blog Frog.

Nancy~The Wife of a Dairyman May 12, 2011 at 3:56 PM

We have a little love seat at the foot of our bed and it comes in so handy…couldn’t live without it:)

PragmaticMom May 12, 2011 at 3:39 PM

I love this feature Dagmar. What fun to dream up a house (and not have to go through the expense or stress of actually redecorating). Fung Shei principles would not have pictures over the bed (in case of accidentally falling off) and I’m with you about having the chandelier not exactly over the bed (and probably Feng Shei principles would agree).

I really like the idea of lots of light and your examples are stunning. Thanks for a minute to daydream!