Join Moms4Moms: Moms Using Social Media to Raise Money and Awareness

by Dagmar Bleasdale on April 27, 2011

I only knew Holly Pavlika (founder of Mom-entum) through Twitter, but I finally got to meet her at the Getting Gorgeous event a few weeks ago.

After the event she asked me if I would like to get involved in Moms4Moms, a project she thought of for this year’s Mother’s Day.

She was wondering: as bloggers, we have so many connections through social media, what if we use that power to make a difference this Mother’s Day? Of course I was in!

Americans will spend approximately $14.6 billion this year on gifts for Mother’s Day. What if 1 percent of that $14.6 billion could be given to the cause of raising awareness and money to help with the staggering numbers of maternal death and complications resulting from birth?

Did you know?

• one mom dies (maternal death) every 90 seconds!
  • 15% of all pregnancies result in complications during labor and delivery and sometimes are fatal.
  • Pregnancy is the biggest killer of girls ages 15-19.
  • For every woman who dies in childbirth, 20 more suffer from debilitating complications.
  • We have the knowledge to prevent 90% of all maternal deaths.

These numbers are shocking to me and it breaks my heart to think of children growing up without their mothers because something happened to them during childbirth.

Despite Mother’s Day celebration of motherhood, hundreds of thousands of women worldwide die during pregnancy and childbirth. The US ranks 50th in terms of maternal health care, meaning that 49 other countries provide better care! Moms4Moms’s goal is to “really make Mother’s Day about moms” by promoting the allocation of at least some of the money spent on gifts to mothers in need.

Leveraging the power of social media, Moms4Moms plans to raise awareness and funds for Christy Turlington Burns’ organization Every Mother Counts.

The Facebook page “Moms4MomsDay” focuses on two initiatives: micro-donating, which encourages everyone to give as little as $5, and old cell-phone donation through the group Hope Phones, which refurbishes old phones and donates the proceeds.

Holly partnered with the following twelve influential moms and bloggers to create Moms 4 Moms Day: Erica Diamond, Audrey McClelland, Molly Gold, Beth Feldman, Niri Jaganath, Katja Presnal, Kelly Loubet, Julie Cole, Linda Grant, Katrina Carefoot, Dagmar Bleasdale Dagmar’s momsense and Sherry Aikens

We are all reaching out to our large social media following to enlist other women to post about Moms4Moms to raise awareness and ask for donations on a singular day, April 27, hopefully across the U.S and globally.

Two nights ago we all participated in a huge #moms4moms Twitter party and since we started working on this project a week ago, that hashtag was mentioned almost 21 million times on Twitter. Amazing! The response to the party was so overwhelming, it looks like we will have another one next week, hopefully with Christy chiming in.

Christy Turlington Burns’s Every Mother Counts is an advocacy and mobilization campaign to increase education and support for maternal and child health. The keystone of the campaign is, an interactive platform providing the tools to raise awareness, education. and action.

The Moms4Moms movement uses social media to support moms around the world this Mother’s Day, and I couldn’t be prouder to be part of this important campaign with all these other amazing bloggers.

Want to help? Easy: spread the word by stumbling and tweeting this post, or share it via Facebook or e-mail. Ask people to donate a part of their Mother’s Day gifts. Or feel free to take any facts from this post and write your own post about Moms4Moms. You can watch the premiere of Christy’s documentary “No Woman, No Cry” on the OWN Network Saturday, May 7 from 9:30-11:00 PM, ET/PT.

We can all make a big difference in raising awareness — and donations —  for maternal health.

Hannah May 8, 2011 at 6:51 AM

Happy Mother’s day!

I wanted to thank you for posting this information. Its something I’m concerned about as well.

On my blog I have links to our (America’s) infant mortality ranking, and it’s horrible for a country of our status! These stats are not shocking to me at all :(

Forgive me, I’ve not read up on Moms4Mom statement of belief.

I figure I can ask questions here and get a discussion going, but I was wondering what cause does Moms4mom attribute to theses horrible statistics? Do they believe that its naturally occuring (maternal death)?

What knowledge do they refer to in preventing these deaths? And lastly, how does contributing financial support enable Moms4Mom I reaching their goals? In other words, what do they do and how do they do it?(Out of curiosity)

Personally, I believe, that the rising cesearean rate along with increased childbirth interventions are a major cause in contributing to these stats. I also believe that the risks of labor drugs contribute to the stats of maternal death & infant mortality.

After my very traumatic hospital birth experience, I found out how real the risks were in taking the labor drugs I took, AFTER the fact. My Dr. Never inform me of the risks at all! Not even a fact sheet.

Only when I decided to go the home birth route, have I been the most informed and empowered in knowledge!

Here in America, childbirth care is treated like a manufacturing facility… very impersonal, very standardized in a way to maximize financial gain.

Just my 2¢…

Kathy Morelli May 2, 2011 at 12:27 PM

Yes this is a great cause. Maternal mortality has INCREASED in the last 30 years. Ina Mae Gaskin;s lastest book Birth discusses this ..
thanks, Dagmar

Meg April 28, 2011 at 2:46 AM

It’s a very nice idea. But “Every Mother Counts” is a charity that raises money, in part, for the largest abortion provider in our country (Planned Parenthood). If any donors believe as I do that women deserve better than abortion, and that abortion represents the opposite of maternal and child care, there are better ways to contribute toward access to maternal medical care. Not trying to rain on your parade because I think it’s wonderful to support greater access to pregnancy support! But a lot of times charities that claim to offer pregnancy “support” end up advocating pregnancy termination which is a very scary deception. Dagmar I am sure that’s not the kind of bait and switch you’re after. I’m not criticizing you personally! :) Just putting the info out there for those of us who are concerned with protecting unborn life.

Dagmar April 28, 2011 at 3:28 AM

Hi Meg,

I am a part of Moms4Moms, and we raise awareness about maternal death via blogging and social media. I’m not a part of Every Mother Counts.
I’d like to see facts that EMC gives money to Planned Parenthood, this is news to me, and that PP “end up advocating pregnancy termination.” I think these are big allegations. Why would they; what do they have to gain from that?

From their website:
-“Planned Parenthood health centers focus on prevention: 83 percent of our clients receive services to prevent unintended pregnancy.
-Planned Parenthood services help prevent more than 612,000 unintended pregnancies each year.
-Planned Parenthood provides nearly one million Pap tests and more than 830,000 breast exams each year, critical services in detecting cancer.
-Planned Parenthood provides nearly four million tests and treatments for sexually transmitted infections, including HIV.
Three percent of all Planned Parenthood health services are abortion services.”

Sounds to me like they are providing the kind of services women are not able to receives otherwise, hence the large number of people (also many men) using their services, that can and do prevent women from dying in childbirth and having other serious health issues.

Meg April 28, 2011 at 1:34 PM

I hesitate to leave much response here in your comments because you know how these things go – abortion is controversial and then I will have started a drama in your comments section. I don’t want to hijack your blog! :) How about I’ll just be brief but if you are interested in more information you are welcome to email me and I’ll try to give you whatever answers you need on the subject.

I am assuming that boycotting abortion providers is not important to you (and I don’t judge you for that). But I see from your previous posts that you are savvy about following a money trail and boycotting financial sources of those things you oppose. For example you boycott Nestle because of its role in supporting baby formula manufacturers. If Nestle only spent 3% of its finances on formula I assume you would still boycott. In my case I believe that abortion is an act of violence against an unborn life and his or her mother, and the fact that there are 3700 abortions a day (CDC estimate) amounts to a holocaust on the unborn. So for my conscience I have to abstain from supporting an organization that supports PP, even if PP’s claim to spend only 3% of its work on abortion is true.

You can find the connection between Every Mother Counts and PP on its blog, under the link “become an advocate for family planning.”

Hope that provides an adequate response without going overboard on the information or stirring up drama. It’s great that you are trying to do meaningful things with your blog .

dagmar April 28, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Hi Meg, you are welcome to abstain from supporting any organization you don’t agree with. Feel free to blog about it on your blog.

I stand by wanting to bring awareness to maternal death and the need for better maternal health care around the world and am honored to be a part of the amazing group of bloggers involved with Moms4Moms.

Expat Mum April 28, 2011 at 4:03 PM

@Meg – The fact is, that abortion (3% of Planned Parenthood’s activities) is legal in this country, albeit very hard to come by in many areas. Moreover, some people actually believe in a woman’s right to choose and therefore support organisations that provide the services they do. Clearly this is what’s happening here, and as has been said, you are free to abstain just as Dagmar is free to become involved.