Getting Gorgeous and Meeting Blogging Friends in NYC

by Dagmar Bleasdale on April 4, 2011

Yesterday I took a train to New York City for the big “Getting Gorgeous” event Audrey McClelland and Vera Sweeney invited me to. It’s a much coveted, much anticipated, much talked-and-tweeted-about event for mom bloggers.

There are many brands there who are interested in reaching out to mom bloggers, but even more importantly we get to catch up with blogging friends we haven’t seen in a while and finally get to meet bloggers we have never met in person.

When I stepped out of the taxi, there already were a lot of  mom bloggers standing in line to get into the Metropolitan Pavilion. The first person I saw and got to hug was the inspiring Yakini from The Prissy Mommy Chronicle. We got to catch up about breastfeeding and then talked to lovely Julie Cole, (@JulieCole, mom of 6!) from Mable’s Labels before we made our way inside.

I ran into one of my oldest blogging friends, Courtney from One Bored Mommy. We started blogging about the same time over two years ago and met at the first blogging event I ever went to. It is always great to catch up with her, the last time I saw her was at the same event a year later, and we are both looking forward to BlogHer ’11 in San Diego in August.

One of the highlights for me was to talk with one of my role models and fellow lactivist Danielle Friedland (@that_Danielle).

Pre-styled hair, here I am with the ethical & beautiful @... on TwitpicWe only smiled at each other in a session at BlogHer last year but have been in contact via email and Twitter since then.

Danielle just invited me to be one of the bloggers for Healthy Child Healthy World, a nonprofit that empowers parents to protect children from harmful chemicals.

Olivia Newton-John, Erin Brockovich, and Annie Urban (PhDinParenting, another one of my role models) are supporters of HealthyChild.org, and I’m so exited to be part of this impressive organization and share their important information with you!

I also briefly got to talk to @SavvyMomNYC, @Squashedmom, @c2cmom, @savorthethyme, @amommyinthecity, @rolemommy, @DancingHotdogs, @centsiblelife, @ComplicatedMama, @ theculturemom, @pluslily, @Stacyknows, and the only dad there, @dadarocks.

I didn’t get to take a picture with but finally met another lactivist, Andi Silverman (@AndiSilverman) from Mama Knows Breast who also lives in Westchester, and stood in line to get my hair done and got to chat with Molly Gold (@MyGOMOM).
I met a few bloggers who I have only been in contact with through Twitter: @Twiniversity, @OfeliaNJ, @CandaceApril, @PremierBaby, @MacKidRivertwns and @MacKidHmptnsWst and @HollyPavlika.

Here is a video about the event — you can see me around 3 minutes 40 seconds in:

We got to take home some fun swag, and I want to pass on the deals to all of you!

I was so impressed with their products! >> Belli — safe skincare products for moms and baby (guaranteed to not cause birth defects!): use code BLOG4402 at check-out in the “Promo code” field

Pish Posh Mommy: cute organizational inserts that makes every bag a diaper bag, 20% off with code BUMP20
Sue Devitt Beauty: 15% off next purchase, code GGEVENT11 (expires 04/17/2011)
Sarah Potempa — celebrity hairstylist: $50 off a titanium or ceramic flat iron, code GG2011
totsy: $15 credit, code VIPMOM
Miraclebody: 20% off any purchase through April 18, 2011, code GGNYC20
Patemm round diaper changing system: 20% off all of their award-winning, eco-friendly products, coupon code PATEMM
Lichi Super Fruit supplement: 50% off on any purchase, code gettinggorgeous

Glamamom April 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM

Great to FINALLY meet you :) Looking forward to the next time!

Kristi {at} Live and Love Out Loud April 8, 2011 at 5:54 PM

Looks like it was such a fun event! And you got to meet up with so many folks too. Glad you had a great time. :)

Anna April 8, 2011 at 5:23 PM

looks like such a great event, i was so sorry to miss it – huz had to go to work at the last minute and too late to find a sitter. oh well, next year :)

Kathy Morelli April 8, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Looks like a great time! Maybe next time for me! Blogher 2011 sounds awesome…not sure if I have the funds!

Annie @ PhD in Parenting April 6, 2011 at 1:27 AM

Thanks for the shout out Dagmar! I’m so glad you’ll be joining us at Healthy Child, Healthy World.

I’m glad you had a great time at the party and am very envious that you got to hang out with my buddies Julie and Danielle.

Dagmar April 6, 2011 at 2:44 AM

Hi Annie, so glad you discovered that I included you in this post — Goggle Alert? LOL I’m so exited to be part of HealthyChild.org!

Dawn April 5, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Wow! what an incredible time I had just reading this recap- you must have had a blast!! What a Who’s Who of the blogging world you have listed above– LOVE IT!! Don’t know how you all do it but I’m learning along the way..maybe one day I’ll see you all in person, or even just a handful of you!! Again- thanks for sharing!

Jane April 5, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Wow! What a fantastic re-cap! The Getting Gorgeous events are definitely awesome in that they allow bloggers to connect with brands AND each other in such a fabulous setting. I just wish we had had a chance to chat… next time!!

Varda (SquashedMom) April 5, 2011 at 4:32 AM

It was terrific seeing and talking with you there, too! Quite a fun whirlwind. Hope to see you in the city again sometime soon.

Kerri April 4, 2011 at 8:02 PM

So glad to see you even it it was for a short while. I had to get home as my babysitting arrangements were going to end early. Sometimes the closer you are to home, the harder it is to get away!
Did you like your new do? I’m still getting compliments.

Alicia @MommyDelicious April 4, 2011 at 6:06 PM

Looks like you had a great time! I love these events because I get to see and meet so many great Bloggers. This event was really an amazing one! Can’t wait for the next big event. xx

Elizabeth April 4, 2011 at 5:46 PM

That looks like so much fun!

Heather April 4, 2011 at 3:12 PM

How exciting! I am hoping that in time I will get to meet some of my bloggy friends and make some new ones!

Odie Langley April 4, 2011 at 2:40 PM

Looks like a great time was had for sure and you certainly had the gorgious part under control.

holly April 7, 2011 at 2:55 AM

Wow, looking at that picture of me, why didn’t I get a make-over when I had the opportunity? I needed one! Anyway, I always love seeing you and am so happy that we’ll both be at BlogHer!