A Sweet Surprise From Germany

by Dagmar Bleasdale on April 3, 2011

Do you know what this means?

Or this?

This mean my mom sent one of her care packages from Germany.

Full of German Hachez chocolate made in my hometown, Bremen.

Being the recycling maven she is, she sent it in a box someone else had sent her and stuffed it with hay instead of that awful plastic straw people buy here for Easter. Don’t ask me where she found the hay; my parents don’t exactly live on a farm.

I get my love for decorating and giving little gifts and wrapping presents from my mom. She always decorates our house — the house I live in for 23 years until I caught a plane to America — especially beautifully for Easter and Christmas.

She sent L three toy cars — a recycling car, a street sweeper, and a pickup truck.    My favorites are these Marzipan (almond paste) eggs.

They won’t last until Easter, I can tell you that.

Psst, don’t tell her, but we are sending her her favorites — Peeps — and her and my dad some of L’s latest art creations.

Danke, Mama! So sweet of you.

Ar'nie Rozah Krogh April 11, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Aah..isn’t that super? It’s always nice when our families send us goodies from home. I remember my sister paying like $80 to speed post a box of cookies and desserts that probably cost her less than $20 to make. Families- Can’t live without their love nor their goodies! :-)
p.s echte chocolate komen aus Niederland, shall I send you some?

Kristi {at} Live and Love Out Loud April 8, 2011 at 5:58 PM

What a great care package! I just love receiving packages from home. They certainly brighten my day. :)

Anna April 8, 2011 at 5:25 PM

what a great care package, now i want chocolate…

Daniel Roach April 4, 2011 at 5:11 PM

Ah, reminds me of my German college roommate, Manuel. He hated sweets, but his mom loved to send them so the rest of us reaped all the benefits :-)

Verena April 4, 2011 at 1:31 PM

Wie schön!!! I´m sure L was very excited when he saw Oma and Opas package!

Odie Langley April 4, 2011 at 7:56 AM

German chocolate is so good. I remember when my daughter Karen came back from spending a year over there in 1991 she had some and we savored every morsel until it was gone. I am so glad you got a taste of home to give you that Ahhhhhh feeling. Have a great week.

Jennifer G. April 4, 2011 at 3:57 AM

How awesome to get a care package from home. My dad is a huge marzipan freak/fan. I always buy him marzipan every Christmas although it’s not easy to find around here!

Lauren @ Hobo Mama April 3, 2011 at 7:45 PM

Yummy! What a sweet package to come in the mail, and I love the touch of hay. For some reason, exchanging our different candies was one thing my German friends and I liked most to do.

PragmaticMom April 3, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Yum and just in time for Easter!

Katja April 3, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Oh, ich kann Deine Freude gut verstehen. Meine Lieblingspäckchen waren auch immer die mit Schokolade, als ich in Amerika gelebt habe.

Nancy~The Wife of a Dairyman April 3, 2011 at 2:52 PM

I love the ‘easter basket’ all the way from Germany:) What nice treaats!