Why Folding Laundry Makes Me Happy

by Dagmar Bleasdale on March 6, 2011

It happened again today: I caught myself feeling really happy while folding laundry.

It’s such an odd thing because I don’t particularly like folding laundry. Well, it’s not folding the laundry that makes me happy — somehow, looking at our clothes always makes me feel really grateful for all the things I have in my life.

Yes, there is a hole in my favorite socks and most of my son’s clothes are second-hand, but we have so much compared to other people.

Times have been tough and still are for so many Americans. Things could be much better financially for us as well, but we have a roof over our head, always a full fridge, and I own enough pants to last me a lifetime.

I never have enough time in the day to do all the things I want to do: become a better cook, sit down and read in German to my son, call my girlfriends, or write the five next blog posts I want to write.

My beloved car is 14 years old, my sunglasses are from the dollar store, my son has a tiny bedroom, and our living room is still not painted. But when I look around our home I decorated with love, I’m filled with gratitude.

I’m grateful for the simple train set my son loves to play with, for that little blue vase I just had to buy at a craft fair, and for my laptop that helps me do what I love — write my blog.

Another thing that makes me happy, which is just as random as folding laundry: hearing the wind howl outside in the middle of the night while I’m tucked under a warm blanket.

I’m not in Haiti or Africa or anywhere else where people’s living conditions are horrendous, and I’m lying next to the most precious four-year-old boy whose soft, little hands reach out for me in his sleep.

My son recently had to have surgery to have his tonsils taken out, and I’m so grateful he is otherwise a very healthy boy. While sitting in the surgery center, I was thinking of all the moms who deal with much more serious health issues of their children.

I don’t know how they are able to deal with all the worrying. I’m so blessed to have this little boy, and that he recovery so fast.

As moms, we are so busy all day — navigating motherhood and work, being a partner and friend, managing the never-ending household chores and errands — it’s hard to remember to take a deep breath sometimes.

The next time your toddler just won’t stop fussing, or your husband doesn’t replace the toilet paper, or you are annoyed while folding underwear for the hundreds time, look around and take stock of all you have in your life you can be grateful for.

And then stop folding the underwear.

Life is too short — just throw it in the drawer!

Like this? Then share it with a simple click!

kelly @kellynaturally March 13, 2011 at 6:01 AM

Thank you Dagmar. This was lovely. Gratitude is ALWAYS the right attitude to have.

Debbie March 13, 2011 at 5:02 AM

Love this post!

The Zany Housewife March 8, 2011 at 9:44 PM

Great post! Sometimes it’s so easy to get wrapped up into everything that is not going well and miss the good in our lives. Thanks for the reminder, I definitely needed it. :)

Annie @ Mama Dweeb March 8, 2011 at 8:01 PM

I am so glad you brought this post back, I needed to hear it!
My house is a continual construction work in progress – we don’t have trim, we are adding onto our tiny 2 bedroom house (since we have 3 kids, about time) and even though there are things to complain about, there is so much more to be happy about.

I love that you focused on the positive – it has encouraged me and helped me refocus on my blessings too!

Irene March 8, 2011 at 5:45 AM

What a beautiful post. I too have a 4 year old little boy that sleeps next to me at night, along with his six year old brother, hehe. Those moments are the best moments of my day. Everything you said is so true. Though I may not like folding laundry, I know full well how I will miss those little boy clothes one day.

Thanks so much for such a great post and important reminders for us all!

Kristi {at} Live and Love Out Loud March 8, 2011 at 3:25 AM

That’s such a great way to look at things, Dagmar! I hate, hate, hate folding laundry. So much so that my husband does it for me. I know, I might be spoiled. *might be* lol In any case, I love your positive outlook. :)

I Thought I Knew Mama March 8, 2011 at 1:21 AM

Great post! It’s all about perspective. So glad you choose to see the glass half full. I do too!

DP March 8, 2011 at 12:53 AM

What a uplifting post! I also reminisce and think about life when I’m doing ordinary things too. New follower! (Sorry to read that Jennifer Melody lady was giving you so much grief in the comments! You have a right to delete any comments you don’t want on your blog.)

-DP
Hip Chick’s Guide to PMS, Pregnancy, and Babies

Jennifer Melody March 7, 2011 at 9:25 PM

I would love to know what was so negative about my comment that it needed to be deleted. I was under the impression that you were a nice person, that’s what I thought when I heard you on that podcast.

I never said a bad word about you or anyone else in my comment and I was polite. Not only that, I was trying to help. If you don’t appreciate my advice, that’s okay, no problem. If I’m not welcome on your blog, then I won’t come back. But why delete my comment without any explanation?

I would have e-mailed instead of commenting now and before, but I couldn’t easily find your contact information here.

Dagmar March 8, 2011 at 12:36 AM

My e-mail address can be easily found on several of my pages, like the Contact page, plus there is a contact form.

It wasn’t about the comment being negative, it was about you comment being about me getting in touch with MckMama. It had nothing to do with my blog, that’s why it was deleted. Please contact her directly in the future.

I know her through the blogging world but wouldn’t consider myself a personal friend of hers yet. Even if I were, she makes her own decisions about how she wants to conduct her blog, and I have no interest in meddling with that. I hope you can understand that.

Jennifer Melody March 8, 2011 at 3:14 AM

I certainly understand. Thank you for answering and feel free to delete this comment as well. I agree with you, and I have no problem with you deleting either one, I was just confused as to why it was deleted with no explanation. I apologize for bringing it up and thanks again for explaining.

JDaniel4's Mom March 7, 2011 at 1:56 PM

I the feel of warm laundry. It is a treat to fold it on cold days.

Anna March 7, 2011 at 12:48 AM

such nice thoughts, we all could probably be more grateful for what we have (but i still hate laundry)

Amanda March 6, 2011 at 10:56 PM

Love this post! I woke up Saturday morning feeling this way, with 4 kids waiting for breakfast, 2 more asleep, and a sink full of dishes to do. I said there is nothing else I’d rather do!

Rosey March 6, 2011 at 3:44 PM

Hear Hear! I love this. :)

Hannah March 6, 2011 at 1:46 PM

Love the way you ended that post! I can totally relate to what you’re saying. Although I don’t do it as much as I should, I DO enjoy folding clothes.

I love to look at each article of clothing and put little outfits together ( I LOVE fashion).

If you can believe it… I immensely enjoy ironing! My little boys button down collar shirts are the most fun for me, I don’t know why…it may be because I grew up in a house full of girls. They are mostly, if not all hand-me-downs, which makes me appreciate those clothes even more, we don’t have the latest and greatest of things, and like you we drive a car well past it’s prime, but we are healthy and we have such love for each other that I would never trade for all the riches in the world.

Thank you for writing this post, reiterating its simple, but profound truth.

By the way, thanks for following me on BlogFrog! I’m still figuring it out, as soon as I do, I’ll follow back :)

divasupermum March 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM

its so nice to to be grateful for the small things in life, you seem to have a nice family life, health and happiness to your family

MJ March 6, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I just love this post! :) Happy Sunday!