Meet The Examiner’s New Parenting Columnist

by Dagmar Bleasdale on March 29, 2011

I used to write for the New York City Moms Blog, but they sadly folded last year. The Silicon Valley Group was acquired by Technorati and many of their writers took advantage of the offer to now write for the newly formed Technorati Women’s Channel and have their work recognized there. I was going to do the same.

My old New York City Moms Blog posts would have been transferred to Technorati, and those and new posts would have been read by who knows how many new people. It sounded like a great opportunity, with the chance to make some income.

Then I was approached by Adam Stone, publisher of Westchester’s The Examiner, if I was interested in writing my own column about parenting and motherhood for the online version of his paper.

I instantly said yes — as a writer it’s a dream of mine to have my own column, and I really rather establish my name more in Westchester, NY, than spread my name all over the world. I’m already doing that with Dagmar’s momsense — hello, Guyana!

I feel very loyal to Westchester and especially small local businesses, that’s why I started my Westchester’s Best page where I feature businesses I love for free.

The mommy blogging scene in New York City is huge, and I could be going to PR and blogging events there every week, but there’s certainly enough going on here. I rather stay in — and write about — my own neighborhood. I hope brands will eventually realize how many great mom bloggers there are in Westchester and throw more events here. I’d be happy to coordinate them.

{Of course I said yes when Landon and I were invited to a fabulous NYC kids fashion event hosted by Jessica Seinfeld, Stella McCartney, and Nicole Feliciano in two weeks, and I can’t wait to go to Audrey McClellan’s Getting Gorgeous extravaganza this Saturday!}

My Examiner column is called “Parenting with Dagmar” and I wrote my second column last night. Check it out!

The Importance of Teaching Kids to Be Green

I just learned that Stella McCartney is an outspoken green advocate; maybe I’ll get to talk to her about that.

What would you have chosen — national platform (Technorati blog) or Westchester column?

{picture credit}

Kristi {at} Live and Love Out Loud April 8, 2011 at 6:08 PM

I really think you made you the right choice and I’m so very happy for you and your success! :)

Kathy Morelli April 2, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Hmm, Dagmar, tough choice… I am in the process of spreading myself too thin right now! It IS difficult to choose and the benefits of one over the other are difficult to perceive! However, I think b/c you have alot of blogging experience you knew where your fit was! And the local market is a geat choice..good to be recognized more fully at a more local level, then it can grow!

Annie @ Mama Dweeb March 29, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Congratulations!! I love that you chose to stay local, that is wonderful! I live in rural Kansas, social media is barely appearing out here. I am “way ahead of my time.” If I lived where you are I would choose the more local one as well. However, since I live here I think I would have a bigger impact on the national scene.

Enjoy that event in 2 weeks, what fun you and your son will have!

Tamara March 29, 2011 at 9:24 PM

Just stopping by to follow you from the blog hop. Hope you’ll come visit me, too!

lisa March 29, 2011 at 2:53 PM

This is FANTASTIC!!!!! Congrats on your own column.

Loved your Green piece.

Lorette Lavine March 29, 2011 at 5:19 PM

I love that you chose Westchester Co. and writing a column of your own for the Examiner.
Westchester is lucky to have you…. I grew up in Westchester and worked in NYC but have lived in the Chicago suburbs for over 25 years now. It is fun to live in the shadows of a world-class city.
Wishing you all the best.

Sharon at Momof6 March 29, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Good question….. and since I also wrestle with balance- I have to admit that I probably would have attempted to do both…. driving myself insane all the while!
I am glad that I connected with you- a fellow Westchester blogger! And sign me up- I’ll come to every event you coordinate!

Calley March 29, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Great job! Congrats!

PragmaticMom March 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Congrats! I think you made a great choice!

Odie Langley March 29, 2011 at 8:34 AM

Excellent article in every way. The Examiner will wish they had asked you a long time ago. I am so glad I was able to be here to experience this next step on your journey to being famous.

Dagmar March 29, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Odie, your comments always make me smile, thank you for the confidence in me :)