My First Fashion Show: Stylist, Anyone?

by Dagmar Bleasdale on February 28, 2011

Or: I need to loose 10 pounds, develop upper arm muscles, get a stylist, haircut, and a tan in 5 days.

I have been invited to attend the Westchester Magazine fashion show  “Fashion Rules” and I enthusiastically emailed back to say I’m coming. I subscribe to the magazine and enjoy it every month, I’d love to write for them, and this will be my first fashion show ever. Yay!

Or maybe not yay.

I have been back and forth for days now if I should really go. I basically haven’t worked out in four years, I recently gained five pounds that feels like 10 pounds because I’m so out of shape from sitting (blogging) all day, I have nothing to wear — as always — I don’t have anyone to watch L because Don will be at school, I don’t know anyone there, and I bet it’s not even a fun event, so why even go…

I’m so not a girly girl. I’m kind of overdo it in the other direction. I want people to see that I’m not fussy, that I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty (literally), and that I don’t need designer clothes to define myself. But at times like these that isn’t exactly helpful. This event requires some style and fashion sense. The beautiful people of Westchester will be in attendance!

I can’t remember when I had my last manicure. There is just no point to them: they only last a day, the poisonous fumes in those nail places make me gag and no shoulder massage will make up for that, and I hate to then have to pay them after trying unsuccessfully to hold my breath for half an hour.

I didn’t even get a manicure for my own wedding — I gave my nails a coat of clear polish minutes before the ceremony at Lyndhurst Castle:

My girlfriend Karen, a pig farmer from Germany, did my hair. We didn’t even do a trial run. It was perfect.

My last haircut has been so long ago that it is now so tragically long that I’m going to donate it to the Pantene program that makes wigs out of the donated hair for sick children. (I will blog about this soon and hope you will join me if you have 8+ inches of hair to donate).

While driving in the car today for an hour alone I had time to think about the fashion show again. And you know what: I going.

I’m going to find a family member who can look after L and enjoy this fashion show. I have my Spanx I got at BlogHer, I can give myself a fake tan as I did for this wedding, and I’m going to have fun.

I shouldn’t let a few extra pounds dictate my life. And in the end, no one really cares what I look like and what I wear.

Okay, so I can’t loose 10 pounds in 5 days, but I’ll still try to make an effort to look my best. I’m so not fashion savvy, but maybe you can give me some input: I want to wear a dress because I want to wear something feminine, and I have a couple that will fit, but they are knee long and I hate to be cold or show off my white legs. Can I wear black tights under the dress or will that look dorky?

Also, if I wear tights, I obviously can only wear closed shoes, and I have a pair but they have a fake snake print on them, can I combine that with a dress that’s gray or gray/white? As you can see: I need help here, girls!

If you are a Westchester stylist, have your people contact my people. Stat. I beg you.

{photo credit Christian Leitner}

Kristi {at} Live and Love Out Loud March 8, 2011 at 4:40 AM

Whatever it is that you decide to wear, make sure you’re comfortable in it and that you feel great wearing it. Confidence is a key component in rocking an outfit wherever you go! If you do go with black tights, I’d go for dark shoes that don’t pop. What if you tried on several outfits and posted the pics for us to vote on?!? How fun would that be? You could totally place your fashion fate in the hands of Dagmar’s Momsense readers. :)

April March 2, 2011 at 6:21 AM

Sounds like a fantastic fun event, and even though you are a strong beautiful mom, you are also a woman, and you deserve the fun. Gosh if you weren’t already prepared, and could wear Keds sneakers, I would direct you to my Zazzle link with my custom designs, LOL!!! ~ Well I’ve included it anyway as my website link (even if you can’t use them right now, you may have fun skipping around outdoors getting those hands dirty in them, LOL) Have a fabulous time Dagmar!!! ~April :)

Yi shun March 1, 2011 at 8:54 AM

Oh, Dagmar! Probably the worst thing you can do is fret too much about what you’re wearing. Wear something you feel amazing in. Have you ever seen what some of the style influencers wear? The people who do the buying and the critiquing? Mmmmhmmm. I rest my case. And yet, they look great cos they walk around like they own the world!
Just remember how great your wedding day was, and how little you fretted about things like hair and nails.
Do and get something that will make you feel incredible. Your posture is your best asset. Of course, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t invest in a hot DvF wrap dress…those look great on everyone.
Have fun!
Good lunch!

kelly @kellynaturally February 28, 2011 at 2:29 PM

I’d say skip the black tights. If you’re self-conscious about your legs, you can do a self-tanner, or, go with high boots! Can you post a photo of the dress and/or shoes?

kelly @kellynaturally February 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM

BTW… Dagmar, you are naturally beautiful, so mostly what you wear isn’t going to matter much! ((hugs))

Dagmar February 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Aw, thanks, Kelly, so sweet of you :)

Dagmar February 28, 2011 at 9:25 PM

That’s a great idea, I might do that.

Anna February 28, 2011 at 2:12 PM

so glad you decided to go! while my beauty routines have taken a serious hit since i became a mom, i (try!) not to let it keep me from doing fun stuff. and one of the best things about blogging is going to fun events. can’t wait to hear how it is, have a great time!

Kathy Morelli February 28, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Dagmar! You should go! It will be fun! Do you have stylish boots (with a heel) to wear with your dress? Nice boots are fun, very hip & WARM!

have fun!

MojoMama February 28, 2011 at 6:38 AM

Depending on how dressy the dress is, you could probably get away with some really cute footless leggings and some cute pumps.

As to the tights/shoes… I guess it would depend on the shoes. Some are more glaringly snake print… and it would depend on the dress… pictures?

Odie Langley February 28, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Come on girl, you’ll have those gals there feeling jealous after seeing you. Strut your stuff and have fun. That is really a gorgeous picture of you doing your nails. Just be the beautiful you that you are. I really mean that.
Odie