Healthy Changes in Our Home: Raw Honey, Gluten-Free Foods, and Natural Skin Care

by Dagmar Bleasdale on January 27, 2011

Vegetables

I haven’t blogged about Don’s health and how we are doing with out kinder, vegetarian diet in many months — my last post was written about week 11! It’s now week 55.

One of the reasons why I haven’t blogged about it is that Don’s health slowly improved every week, without help from drugs. He gave up on all the drugs he had originally been prescribed for his terrible pain because they just didn’t help.

He was on Shaklee’s Vivix and two other Shaklee supplements, which are excellent, pure products, but we can’t be sure that turned his health around. I still think he was somehow poisoned by some mold or something at a construction site, but we will never know. I’m just so thankful he is better.

Don still eats mostly vegetarian, he rarely eats meat or fish when it’s served somewhere else or when we go out to eat, but I don’t buy meat for our home.

I wanted to mention a few other things I have also changed in our home: I started to use raw honey, gluten-free products, and non-toxic, natural sunblock and deodorant.

Raw honey:

After learning about the amazing properties of raw, local honey, that’s all I use now for my tea and when one of us has a sore throat. Honey has been proven to work just as well as cough medicine, so I always have it in the house.

I bought raw wildflower honey from Hummingbird Ranch at the Muscoot Farm farmer’s market in the summer and never looked back. I won’t buy commercial honey in the store again.

I was amazed to find out that raw (unprocessed, filtered, unheated) honey

• is rich in vitamins, enzymes, and trace minerals
  • provides energy, improves digestion
  • soothes sore throats and coughs
  • promotes healing of wounds, burns, and rashes
  • and will never go bad

A big jar cost me $11, but it lasted quite a while, plus it makes me feel good to support the local bee keeper. I’m happy to pay that for such an amazing, versatile product.

Gluten-free products:

Landon and I were just recently diagnosed as gluten sensitive by a homeopathic practitioner, so we are now eating a lot more gluten-free products. There are some good breads out there, like Rudi’s, and I have bought the yummiest graham cracker cookies I don’t remember the name of right now. We are probably all better off eating less gluten.

There is no way we could pull of a gluten-free household, and at this point I don’t feel we have to because Landon and I are healthy — but we will continue to limit gluten.

Natural, chemical- free, broad spectrum sunblock and natural deodorant:

I did some research about healthy sunscreens last year and came across the Environmental Working Group 2010 Sunscreen Guide. When I looked up the name of the sunscreen I was using every day, I found it has many dangerous toxins and ended up buying one of the best one they listed: Solar Rx (just one warning: it not meant to be used at the beach — I got an awful sunburn on Nantucket).

I had always bought organic sunscreens for Landon but hadn’t made the switched for Don and me. It is frightening how many toxins our regular lotions and shampoo have, and we now also use natural ones.

Humor me: plug in the name of your lotion and other skin care products into this list: Environmental Working Group’s Skin Deep’s cosmetic database. I guarantee you ‘ll never look at those products the same. And you won’t buy them again. I didn’t.

The same goes for cosmetics: you can find what is in the kind you use on this list Campaign for Safe Cosmetics.

I reference these three resources a lot now and wanted it to be easy for me and you to find them, so I added them to my Healthy Living page.

Just yesterday I bought my first natural, aluminum-free, paraben-free, 100% biodegradable deodorant. It was about time.

{image Claudio Capucho}

bandage Bodycon November 4, 2014 at 6:18 AM

A diploma from fashion designing colleges is obviously your first
class ticket to a career in fashion design. After washing the clip-in extensions, simply air dry them and store in a safe place.

Cobras and Mambas inject Neurotoxic venom which will
affect the nervous system and cause initial muscle weakness, blurred
vision, difficulty in swallowing and breathing and eventually
paralysis.

varicose veins supplement September 24, 2014 at 7:49 PM

“Physically I feel better today than I did in my 30s,” she said.
Ask the amount that the clinic charges fo? laser treatment.
The healing process ?an be optimized further if Sclerotherapy Vein Treatment
?s d?ne in conjunction ?ith Vasculight Laser Therapy.

Kay February 21, 2011 at 5:14 AM

Kudos on your changes. I absolutely love raw honey. I’m glad you’ve found the many benefits. It really is amazing. It also helps the immune system and makes a wonderful addition to natural beauty products and added to conditioners because honey is a natural humectant. It draws moisture from the air and softens. It’s one of my staples!

Alison January 29, 2011 at 1:13 AM

So funny, just yesterday I was googling the benefits of honey. Thanks for the great information :)

Barb Winters January 29, 2011 at 4:20 AM

I found your blog at Mom Bloggers Club. Great info!

We try to eat more naturally/organically and use natural/organic products in our home, also. I have some books on my blog that may interest you.

Rhen @Yes, they are all mine January 29, 2011 at 2:58 AM

We love raw honey around our home. We use it to acclimate our systems to the local “allergens” and plant life. A teaspoon a day does wonders. Being the nomadic family we are, we have been blessed to taste honey from many different places. I am amazed at how unique a honey can taste!

I Thought I Knew Mama January 29, 2011 at 2:10 AM

Love your blog! I’m your newest follower :-)

Kristi {at} Live and Love Out...Loud January 28, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I was actually wondering about Don’s issues with pain the last time we DM’d each other on Twitter, but I forgot to ask. I’m glad things have gotten better for him. How has Landon taken to the kinder, vegetarian diet?

By the way, I stumbled this. :)

Odie Langley January 28, 2011 at 9:26 AM

One of my blog friends has decided to start a biggest loser project and we plan to start on monday, Jan 31st by post our weight and goals. I actually got started this past monday eating only raw fruits & veggies. Monday I was at 195 and this morning I am at 191 so that is a good beginning. I want to get to 175 and maintain that. I got some good ideas from your blogs and am getting encouragement from a new book by Lysa TerKeurst “Made to Crave” Satisfying your deepest desire with God, not food. Have a great weekend.
Odie

Laura @ SuperGlueMom January 28, 2011 at 5:03 AM

OMG! I was shocked when I plugged in my two favorite lotions into the cosmetic’s database! yikes! Thanks for posting this!

Mary Alice January 28, 2011 at 4:25 AM

I have the BEST gluten-free dairy-free blueberry crumb bar recipe. Will find and send to you soon. YUM. Also, bravo to you and your endeavors to switch to natural and chemical-free products! I wish I kept up with it more myself!

kelly @kellynaturally January 27, 2011 at 10:32 PM

Thank you so much for the reminder about raw honey!
I bought some at the end of the summer at our nearby cranberry festival, but it’s all gone now. :( How do you feel about buying raw “local” (meaning, it came from this region, but not specifically this town or state) honey in the grocery store? They sell it in the healthy section of Wegman’s – it’s expensive, but I’m thinking I might get some.

We’re all vegetarians in our household, too – Adam & the kids for 3 years (my youngest since birth), and myself for 20 years. I am always happy to read positive things about families eating vegetarian – and being healthy! :)

ps: So glad Don is feeling better, too.