A few days ago I welcomed my 10,000th Twitter follower. How amazing to think that I started tweeting less than two years ago.
I hope having that many followers means a lot of people find my tweets and retweets valuable and entertaining — and not that I’m kind of a crazy cat lady with no cats but with 17,700+ tweets :)
If you follow my Twitter stream, you know that I mix up tweets about my blog posts and my life, like this gem:
“I didn’t say this last night: “Yes, you have to put them on, that’s what god made jammies for!” #cantbelieveIsaidthat”
with informative retweets about parenting, motherhood, natural birth, breastfeeding, healthy and frugal living, blogging, and social media. If I see a tweet a lot of people will find useful, I retweet it as a thank you and a service to my followers, with the occasional inspiring quote thrown in. And I love following and tweeting with many of my Twitter friends on a daily basis.
I can’t imagine my life without Twitter anymore. Because of my success with Twitter, I now also work as a social media consultant and am enjoying that immensely. I love to teach people how to take advantage of social media tools, especially those who have small and local businesses in Westchester, NY.
I appreciate that the Twitter online community is so supportive. Instead of googling something, I now usually just send out a tweet and within minutes I get back valuable information from many followers — instant gratification.
Just the other day I tweeted that L was diagnosed as gluten, egg, peanut, soy, and shellfish intolerant/sensitive. I was at such a loss about what that means for our life and how I was going to pull off that kind of restricted diet. I received many tweets that were full of great resources or just plain encouraging. Amazing.
And then there are those tweets that make all my work as a breastfeeding advocate worth it. This one made my day today:
“@xxx Because I follow @DagmarBleasdale, I’m trying breast feeding. Failing, but trying.”
I want to say thank you for all your interest and support in another way: I’m going to give a $25 gift card to one of my valued followers.
I wish I had 100 gift cards to give way, but my budget won’t allow that–
WAIT A MINUTE!
That’s when I realized: what if I CAN give away a lot more than my meager $25 gift card?
I have 10,000 Twitter friends, surely some of them would donate something if I promote them for free on Twitter, Facebook, and Dagmar’s momsense in return?
So I wrote a couple of tweets to ask for sponsors, and guess what? I already have several lined up!
I’m going to take a little more time to pull my Twitter thank-you giveaway together and write an official post, but here is who I have secured prizes from so far:
- Natural Urban Mamas: $25 gift certificate (plus shipping costs) for anything in the store
- Name Your Tune: party pack of 10 personalized CDs (~$200)
- Shari Criso’s “Simply Breastfeeding: The Criso Breastfeeding Method” DVD class ($29.99)
- Shari’s “Breastpumps and Briefcases: Breastfeeding for the Working Mom” audio CD program ($19.99)
- Shari’s “Nurturewear” line of loungewear for nursing moms (winter OR summer set $68)
- Mable’s Labels: Colorful Essentials Combo ($48)
- TTT Gift Baskets
- Kathy Morelli’s BirthTouch Acupressure book ($12.95)
- Healthy Child gift (book, new DVD, kid’s T-shirt, $40)
- Writing To Sanity — one book per sponsor
- Ilie Ruby‘s novel The Language of Trees with handmade bookmark ($14.99)
- Tada Youth Theater: 2 adult and 2 child tickets to their spring family musical Odd Day Rain ($80)
- Ellie Adorn gemstone nursing necklace (up to $25)
- Breastfeeding Arts: free private IBCLC initial consultation (valued @ $165)
- For Your Bug-A-Boo: $30 certificate
- It’s a Preemie Thing: $25 certificate
- Belabumbum: Maternity/Nursing Dress ($74)
- Bamboobies: multi-pack of 4 Bamboobies nursing pads ($30) and they are also offering coupon code “DB10K” for 20% off to any of my followers who don’t win!
- Earthy Affair eco-friendly invitations: $25 gift certificate
- Domestic, But Not Martha: 3 months of advertising on her blog
- Your Birth Bag: “Blessed Mommy” necklace ($26.50 and free shipping)
I can’t wait to confirm and tell you about other sponsors and how you can win this exiting giveaway. Seeing how amazing the response has been, I think I’m going to divide up these prizes into a few groups of prizes so more of my followers can win something.
If you would like to donate something in exchange for free PR, please contact me.
A big thank you again to my blogging friend Kristi who featured me as the first women in her new Women Who Empower series. We actually “met” on Twitter :) It is so nice to know my blog touches people and that I’m able to make a little bit of a difference. Your blog and this series make a difference as well — I can’t wait to read about the next Woman Who Empowers, Kristi.
If you feel so compelled, you can vote for me in the Blogger’s Choice Awards. There doesn’t seem to be a way to search for a particular blog, but I’m in the Best Parenting Blog, Best Photography Blog, Best Blog Design, and Hottest Female Blogger category.
Hey, that’s what they named it, not me ;)