Remembering Christmas and Winter in Germany

by Dagmar Bleasdale on December 12, 2010

I just came across some pictures of German winter scenes, Christmas markets, and Christmas ornaments I grew up with. Made me all nostalgic about my childhood in Germany.

I didn’t like the cold weather, but loved Christmas time. My mom would decorate the house, we always had a huge, real Christmas tree in the living room, and we’d freeze our noses off spending hours walking around the Weihnachtsmarkt — the Christmas market — eating fried dough with powdered sugar until we’d look like Santa.

My mom collected theses handmade, hand-painted angels and it was always a special ritual to unwrap them and display them on a little side table every year. She knows how much I love them, so she now makes it a point to always buy us one more angels for every Christmas to add to our collection here in New York. They are proudly displayed on one of our bookshelves. The Christmas markets in Germany are spectacular. This is the one in my hometown. The Dresden Stiezelmarket claims to be the oldest Christmas market, dating back to 1434.

{© picture-alliance/ZB}

Wishing you a wonderful Holiday Season! May it bring back wonderful memories of your childhood as well.

Lauren @ Hobo Mama December 18, 2010 at 8:23 AM

That was so fun! Thanks for sharing the memories. My mom has those same angels on display, and those same ornaments, too! I loved going to the Christmas markets. So fun!

Pamela December 15, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Christmas just seems more magical in Germany, like it’s not all about the commercialism there. Fantastic shots!

Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud December 15, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I absolutely loved this Dagmar. I oohed and ahhed as I read through it on my iPhone. I love learning about new cultures and traditions. It was so nice to see some of the things you grew up with. I’d love to go to Germany sometime. :)

Nicole Feliciano December 14, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Amazing images. Christmas at it’s finest. We had a Christmas in Paris once–the Europeans really know how to celebrate with more joy and less commercialism.

Lauren December 14, 2010 at 4:00 PM

These pictures are wonderful!!!!!! I love how much can be expressed in just pictures.

Debbie Dillon December 14, 2010 at 3:53 AM

Beautiful pictures! Reminds me of our trip to Paris when my husband and I celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary (2 years ago this week). I miss it so much, and I’ll bet you’re really missing Germany. There’s something about that part of the world that never leaves the heart.
God Bless and Merry Christmas,
Debbie

Amy @ Frugal Mama December 14, 2010 at 3:05 AM

What evocative pictures, Dagmar! I love reliving your childhood in Germany through them. It seems very warm and lively and full of good memories. I hope they will continue to be that way for a long time!

Kym December 14, 2010 at 2:00 AM

Thank you for sharing those photos! Absolutely beautiful!

Adriana Iris December 14, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Some of my best xmas memories were in Germany. I lived in a town called Bad Hersfeld.

Mrs. Claus December 13, 2010 at 2:03 PM

Well, I am not German, even though my great-great grandmother came to America from Germany. But I did spend almost a year living in Mannheim, when I was married to my first husband. He was stationed in Mannheim in the mid-80’s.

My first daughter was born in Heidelberg, Germany and I have such fond memories of being there. Thanks for sharing this post!

Vera December 13, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Thank you for sharing these pictures, and your memories of Christmas in germany. Those ornaments look lovely, I should start collecting them again :)

Simone December 13, 2010 at 8:00 AM

Hi Dagmar… WOW! I got all nostalgic reading this and seeing these beautiful images… and I’m not even German! What’s more, I’ve never even had a white Christmas before – we live in New Zealand and its a summer Christmas for us.
BUT next year? Hoping to make it to England for a taste of nostalgia and snow.
Thanks for linking up and sharing your wonderful memories.
xx

Amber December 13, 2010 at 4:12 AM

I love the pictures of the Christmas markets! It looks like a fairytale :)

Bettina December 12, 2010 at 10:22 PM

Oh, this made me totally nostalgic! I spent very few Christmases as a child in Germany–we usually went during the summer so we could stay longer and get more out of the expensive flights–but in my twenties I went to my sister’s house in Ghent, Belgium every year for Christmas and New Year’s. Not only is every store beautiful, but the waffles on the square with whip cream on a cold shopping eve were to die for. Thank you for bringing back the memories!!

Jennifer December 12, 2010 at 6:09 PM

That is so pretty! I bet it’s alot of fun!

Duni December 12, 2010 at 10:17 AM

Dagmar, I don’t like the cold either, but you are so right about the Christmas Markets. Love them. Love the decorations and yes, my husband and I have those handpainted angels as well! My mom lives in Dresden, so last year I got to visit the Market there. It was awesome!
wishing you a wonderful holiday season, filled with peace, joy and laughter!
Duni

Darcy December 12, 2010 at 4:20 AM

Oh my gosh, this makes me want to go to Germany so bad! Been to some parts of Europe, but not Germany yet….Christmas looks beautiful there.

Suzanne C. December 12, 2010 at 3:16 AM

Gorgeous photos! How wonderfully festive! The Weinachtsmarkt looks so enchanting with the lights and Christmas Stollen. Thank you for sharing these wonderful memories!