Bake Fast and Easy Bread in an Hour

by Dagmar Bleasdale on December 21, 2010

Dagmar's Home: make bread in 1 hour recipe

Bake Yummy Bread in Just One Hour!

Oh, yeah, you can make this bread in an hour — promise.

I was given the recipe of all recipes to make super fast, easy bread, and I can’t wait to share it. This bread costs almost nothing, it’s fun to bake, and so much healthier than the store-bought bread spiked with high-fructose syrup.

Forget expensive bread machines: all you need is flour, rapid rise yeast, water, salt, olive oil, and voila — bread!

Landon and I went to a “make minestrone and bread” playdate a couple weeks ago, and Brad taught us how to make this delicious bread.

Here you can see L helping me make it the first time at home.

This is a really fun activity to do with kids, just be prepared for a lot of flour on your floors.

Let your child help, measure, taste, mix, knead and shape the bread. L wanted to shape the dough into these little balls — and why not?

Fast & Easy Bread Ingredients:

• 3 cups flour (you can use whole wheat, but it’s best to only substitute 1 cup with whole wheat)
  • 2 tsp Rapid Rise yeast (jar of it in the baking isle)
  • 1 tsp salt (fine sea salt is best)
  • 1 cup warm water (I used a bit more)
  • 1/4 cup olive oil

Online Bread Making Class

Fast & Easy Bread Directions:

1. Combine half of the flour and dry ingredients. Then mix in water and oil
  2. Mix in remaining flour
  3. Knead 10-15 minutes (I only did about 5)
  4. Shape as desired (round or long, 1 or 2 loaf) and let rest while preheating oven to 425 degrees
  5. Spray with water for crunchy crust and put into oven
  6. Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, then rest of the time (about 10 min.) at 350

Ta-da!

Warning: do not try Nutella on this.

Let me know what you think. Impress the family and bake this for a special occasion!

The bread is pretty dense, but I can’t get over how easy and cheap it is to make your own bread. I can’t wait to mess with the recipe a bit and add walnuts and raisins next.

I also got Brad’s Easy Bread recipe (involves 4 hours of resting time) and will try that out and report back.

Happy baking!

Like this? Then share it with a simple click!

Lauren December 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM

So how long do I bake is for? From the directions it looks like 25 minutes?

Dagmar Bleasdale December 8, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Yes, about 25 minutes. Happy baking!

Mike May 8, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Hello. I just found this recipe and tried it tonight. It was great! So easy and SUPER FAST!! I liked the flavor. I used extra virgin olive oil. You could definitely taste the olive oil. I was wondering if you can use it with regular oil (like canola). I think I will try it next time. Thank you SO MUCH!!

Dagmar Bleasdale May 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM

Hi Mike, glad you liked it! I would just try it, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. Let me know how it turns out!

Elizabeth May 2, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I have celiac. Do you think I could use Almond flour instead?

Dagmar Bleasdale May 2, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Hi Elizabeth,

I would just modify the recipe to your needs and see how it turns out. Can’t really go wrong with trying :)

lgj May 1, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Maybe I’m terribly uninformed but why can’t it be used with Nutella? I don’t use it very often but just curious.

Dagmar Bleasdale May 2, 2013 at 1:05 AM

That was just a joke — you’ll eat the whole loaf in one day with Nutella, it’s so yummy :)

Rebecca @ Natural Mothers Network February 12, 2012 at 3:07 PM

The thing I like about this recipe is how quick it is to make which is a real attraction! This would be really tasty with some English cheddar cheese and some good old fashioned English pickle- have printed this off to give it a try!
I’m so glad you dropped by and I really welcomed this contribution last week to the Seasonal Celebration Linky- a great collection of seasonal recipes, homemaking, crafts, homeschooling and motherhood thank you so much!
Seasonal Celebration is live once more, so feel free to pop over and join this wonderful celebration of creative talent! http://naturalmothersnetwork.com Rebecca x

Fiona Cooper (@nlpmum) October 6, 2011 at 11:40 AM

Love a fast bread recipe. I’ve just become a fan of sourdough and have been making this great no knead version http://www.breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-method/ It’s fab. Will try yours if I can find fast rise yeast over here! F

Fabulosokids June 7, 2011 at 1:49 PM

An hour? I thought you had to spend all day making bread. We will try this directly. Thanks Dagmar.

Connie Carpenter March 25, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Hi from your newest follower on GFC from MBC. Wonderful Blog you have. When you get the time please check out my blog and return the follow.

Connie C

MrMomWorld March 20, 2011 at 3:55 PM

Thanks for the recipe. Courtesy of my cardiac issues, I have to change a lot of the ways I eat. I’ve added the RapidRise yeast to my shopping list. Who knows, maybe my twins will enjoy helping with it.

Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud December 22, 2010 at 5:43 AM

I’m so going to try this with the kids during Christmas break! Looks super easy, which is a huge plus!

MamaBennie December 21, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Thank you for this! I cannot wait to try it. My house goes through A LOT of bread so this will be a big help.

Jessica07 December 21, 2010 at 5:05 PM

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I bake my own bread, too. It is denser, but at least it tastes like bread. Anymore, unless you want to pay an arm and a leg, the bread you get at the store may as well be cake in a bag. Homemade is so much healthier, because you get to control the ingredients.