Things have been kind of rough . . .

by Dagmar Bleasdale on February 7, 2010

Things have been kind of rough around here. Not so much for me — for Don. Four months ago he suddenly was in pain all over his body, and we haven’t found a cause or cure yet. Since the pain is most severe at night, he hasn’t had a decent night of sleep since this started.

Don has always been an athlete. He was a quarterback in high school and is a certified yoga teacher — my former yoga teacher — but now he sometimes needs help to put on his sweatshirt. His shoulders, his elbows, his hands, his wrists, his legs – every joint and muscle is hurting him. It’s not lyme, it’s not rheumatoid arthritis, and it’s not fibromyalgia. It’s some kind of inflammation, but it’s not reacting to steroids, antibiotics, narcotics, or painkillers.

Since Don is an introverted and private person, I want to honor his privacy, and on the other hand this is what I do — I write about my life, our life. I am in the middle of this. I want to write so much more but swallow it.

I keep encouraging him to write. He is a beautiful, eloquent, thoughtful writer and I think he should write about his experience — as a release and to document his journey to healing, which I hope will come soon. Normally a total sweet tooth, he is resisting so many sugary temptations now. He is completely changing his diet – no meat, no caffeine, no tomatoes, no potato — anything to avoid more inflammation.

Always a voracious reader, he now pours over every book about nutrition. Since convential doctors have failed to address the cause and severity of his pain, he refuses to keep working with them. He would rather take the pain than pump his body full of more medicines that only marginally help and can cause all kids of other problems.

He is seeing a naturopath next week. I am praying she has some answers. He needs answers – he needs a freaking break. Something is reeking havoc in Don’s body, and I just hope that there will be no long-term effects from this.

I have to believe that something positive will come from all this agony. Changing our diet to vegetarian is one of them — we’ll see what else is in store.

Dee February 10, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Wow, this sounds difficult. What a puzzle, what could have caused his immune system to turn on him like this. My heart goes out to you! My sister picked up a staph infection, that MRSA you read about, in 2002 when she gave birth to her daughter. She was never the same physically. She searches endlessly for answers, too. Best of luck, I hope you figure it out and write about it so others can learn, too.

Jessica (@It's my life...) February 9, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Oh, I’m so sorry. My husband has had a ruptured cervical disk for over two years now, so I know all too well the pain of living with someone dealing with chronic pain. I feel for you both.
Here’s hoping the naturopath can figure out what’s going on. Where’s the real Dr House when you need him?
.-= Jessica (@It’s my life…)´s last blog ..California Snow Day: A rip roaring success =-.

Melodie February 8, 2010 at 5:15 AM

My grandma has a torn rotator cuff and has been experiencing pain which sounds similar to your husband’s except that she doesn’t have pain in her legs. But she does everywhere else you mentioned. Hm. I hope you find out what it is soon. Blessings to you all!

Brae February 8, 2010 at 5:42 AM

Hey! I’m really sorry about your husband! I totally know how stressful this kind of thing can be, especially with children in the home. I hope he feels much better soon!

I have to tell you, also, that I LOVE your name. I think it’s beautiful.

Anyway, I’m following from MBC. Can’t wait to read more of your cute blog!

Tara February 7, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Yikes, that’s lousy news. I hope he feels better soon. Maybe it will disappear as quickly as it came. Best wishes for you.

Susan @ 2KoP February 7, 2010 at 9:17 PM

I’m sorry for your husband’s pain. I know that chronic conditions like this can be very stressful on a family. My cousin found out his chronic pain was due to Shingles. My mom is suffering from Parkinson’s, but she is afraid to try any alternative treatments. I know several people who have had great success with acupuncture and massage therapy. I’m sure you have already explored all these options. I wish you and your husband the best of luck. My teenage daughter is a vegetarian and just got a great cookbook called: College Vegetarian Cooking by Megan Carle and Jill Carle.

Sarah February 7, 2010 at 8:25 PM

forgot to mention a great site…. ….good source of information :-)

Sarah February 7, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Hi…so sorry to hear that he is having so many problems :-( Have they looked into the possibility of Heart Disease? ( not to cause alarm ) My father went to the doctor’s ( I swear every doctor imaginable for over a year ) had pain and inflamation….and couldn’t function as he used to in his job and daily life. They finally decided to do an angioplasty (SP?)to “take a look” as he had a heart attack when he was younger (they said just to be on the safe side )… needless to say it was his heart….they wound up rushing him to another hospital within the matter of an hour and did a triple bi-pass the same day. I do not want to cause alarm again…. but thought I would share the information. It was very frustrating for our family to watch my father go through such a difficult time and not be able to help….he is now healthy and energetic again….thank goodness.
I hope that you figure it out soon…and that your husband find’s some relief and answer’s to his pain.
Best wishes to you & your’s :-)

Amber Morrisey February 7, 2010 at 7:58 PM

Oh dear, poor guy.

I hope he finds some relief and answers very very soon.