Who Helped You Learn How to Breastfeed?

by Dagmar Bleasdale on August 29, 2009

Landon at four months. Little Buddha.

Landon at four months. Little Buddha.

Breastfeeding definitely needs to be learned, it doesn’t come easy to most women. It took me two sleepless, painful weeks and visits to two lactation specialists to get the hang of it. The first one was useless, the second a godsend. I credit Corky Harvey (MS, RN, IBCLC) for my breastfeeding success and the fact that I am still doing it almost three years later! Corky is the owner of the Pump Station & Nurtury in Hollywood, CA, and her business partner Wendy Haldeman was just on “The Doctors” talking about breastfeeding support groups. What a coincidence, since I just talked to “The Doctors” Dr. Travis Stork and Dr. James Sears.

Which advocate or expert helped you most with learning how to breastfeed? I don’t mean Aunt Mae down the street who breastfed all her five children and helped you out. I would like to compile a list of women who actively promote breastfeeding and help new moms, like lactation specialists, doulas, midwifes, La Leche League leaders,  pediatricians, etc.

My goal is to list as many names and resources as possible for moms who need help with breastfeeding. So please leave me a comment and include your expert’s name, website or phone number, and where she lives (town and state) — with her permission. Let’s help each other to promote breastfeeding and make it an enjoyable experience for new moms so they may nurse their babies as long as possible :)

If a particular book really helped you out, please also let me know which one.

Are you a breastfeeding advocate and would like to be listed? Leave me a comment with your name, phone number or website, and your town and state so moms can find you.

This expression makes me chuckle every time!

This expression makes me chuckle every time!

Amber August 13, 2010 at 2:25 AM

My best help actually came from a woman I met through the Livejournal community called Adopt-A-Mom

I’m not sure if that’s something you can use, because these women are not, usually, “experts” but they have all been helping and guiding new breastfeeding mothers for a long while.

If it hadn’t been for my mentor there, I would have given up no doubt. With a preemie (10 weeks early) there are a lot of tricks that you must have in your bag or things just won’t work. It was from her that I really learned about all the herbs, medications, SNS supplies, pumping tricks, etc.

When I FINALLY got to meet with a lactation consultant about a week after my release from the hospital, I was as well versed as she (if not more) in all the different options. Kinda crazy to think about it, but these women should be commended!

Kim, Rambling Family Manager September 12, 2009 at 5:07 AM

I had a terrible time with nursing my daughters, especially my younger daughter. (My boy, the youngest, had no trouble at all, go figure.) We went through some major trauma with my middle child. We thought she was nursing properly right after her birth but she wasn’t wetting or soiling her diapers enough. After 9 days, calling into the doctor the whole time, he stopped blowing us off and told us to come in for a weight check. She had lost a serious amount of weight and was in grave danger; the doctor said either give her a bottle or he was admitting her to the hospital. (We didn’t argue; breastfeeding wasn’t as important as her life.) When we went to the hospital lactation consultant she diagnosed her with a high arch to her palate making it impossible for her to compress the nipple properly and get milk. The lactation consultant said this was one of those times when formula was absolutely necessary, but it would be possible to get her nursing again as she got a little stronger. She put me on a regimen to get my milk supply going again (I had almost dried up) and taught us to nurse the baby with tubes taped to my breast so that she was nursing from me but getting formula at the same time. I had to pump every 4 hours around the clock; those were exhausting days and I would not have been able to do it without unwavering support from my husband. When she was about a month and a half old she was finally able to nurse properly, and my milk supply had returned enough to meet her needs so we were able to get rid of the formula. It was a long, long journey to that point, but we did it, thanks to the lactation consultant.

The lesson I learned with my first child and the difficulties we had with her (not as serious as the problems with my second, but difficult nonetheless) was to keep talking to people and talking to people. LLL, lactation consultants, experienced moms- one person will not have the answers to every question, but if you have a variety of resources you are more likely to get the right answer for you somewhere.

While I can’t give you contact info for the people who helped me (we’ve moved from the area and my younger daughter is almost 9) I can say I applaud what you are doing, and I wish you much success. :)

Darcel September 5, 2009 at 3:15 PM

The 1st time around I had a really nice LC from Good Sam hospital in Dayton Ohio. Can’t remember her name.
The Midwives there are also very supportive and helpful with breastfeeding.

With my 2nd I went to meetings around the corner from my house. They had LC’s from the hospital come in and help. That was awesome! I picked up a few tips and tricks from them.

Here is the link. They have drop-ins and other activities for families.

I’m not an expert, but I would love to help in anyway that I can. I breastfed my 1st for 10 months and am still breastfeeding my 2nd and she’s 2 yrs old. I can offer support and I’m great at researching and finding resources for people. Let me know if there is anything I can do!

Kacie Tuck September 2, 2009 at 9:43 AM

Hi Dagmar!
I really wish I could help you out with a professional name but all my breastfeeding knowledge came from my mother who only nursed me for 6 months but I was raised knowing that breasts were for making milk and to not be ashamed of it. Human babies deserve human milk so that is what I did.
I also got a lot of information from kellymom.com. I feel very lucky to say that breastfeeding my little Lucy has all come very naturally for us but it does take family support and education on the subject. I have also attend some local La Leche League meetings to support other women during their nursing journey!
Wish I could help more! Good luck with your list!

Lucy’s mom AKA Kacie
(Breastfeeding for 20 months and not weaning until she is ready!)

Sharon Stone August 30, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Hi Dagmar! You know, most La Leche League leaders have a list of this sort already. We just updated our contact lists for the area – Westchester plus. So LLL is always a great place to start.

You mentioned that breastfeeding is not easy for most women. I have to say, if it is difficult, one should seek help from their local La Leche League or a certified lactation consultant. Many breastfeeding challenges are quite straightforward to resolve.

Dagmar August 30, 2009 at 2:05 AM

Hi Sharon :)

I just wrote an article for Colloguymoms.com and mentioned the same thing, moms who are having problems should contact a lactation consultant or La Leche League leader. I also mentioned that most problems have to do with an improper latch, and that that can often be fixed pretty easily once you zero in on the problem.

Here is the link:

Thanks for the info on the LLL lists, Sharon!