I Don’t Get Facebook!

by Dagmar Bleasdale on March 8, 2009

Am I the only one who doesn’t want 5,000 “friends” on Facebook? Am I the only one with a cell phone that doesn’t have a camera? Am I the only one with no interest in texting?

The latest and greatest for a lot of other moms I know is being on Facebook, everyone declares to be addicted to it — but I have to admit, I don’t get it.

I finally decided to sign up with Facebook and Twitter about two weeks ago, since I understand that as a blogger you “have” to be on them. It is one way how people (and maybe clients) get in touch with you nowadays. So I signed up and put their links on my blog.

I input my address book and instantly had 30 potential Facebook friends. Since then e-mails have been pouring in about accepting me as a “friend.”

And I was getting e-mails about every little thing my friends were posting: “Natalie left a comment,” “Peter posted a picture,” “Peter commented on his picture,” and, oh, my favorite, “Karen is now in a relationship”!

Are you serious? It’s too time-consuming to field through all those e-mails! So I finally figured out that I could eliminate a lot of those notifications by selecting different e-mail options, which cut down on the clutter a lot.

I still wonder, what is the appeal of Facebook? Don’t we have enough to do as mothers?

My friends and fellow mothers all have my address, phone number, and e-mail address, but I rarely get together with them or get a call. Everyone is so busy with their lives, and I’m not saying it’s different for me.

What baffles me is that now everyone all of a sudden has hours to dedicate to reading and answering Facebook and Twitter e-mails? Why not pick up the phone or simply come over for coffee?!

People tell me that they love reconnecting with people from high school or college through Facebook. And you know what? Reconnecting with people I went to high school with would be the last thing I’d want.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t even remember the names and faces of people from high school or college. The people I do remember I am still in contact with and they are and will always be my friends.

It’s hard enough to remain in contact with them — I don’t need more friends. A new connection could only be superficial and sporadic, so what’s the point? (It’s a good thing I went to high school in Europe, no embarrassing pictures on my Facebook wall. We also didn’t socialize much in school and didn’t have a yearbook, so that makes it harder to remember people.)

Yes, I would love for that ex-boyfriend who dumped me so cruelly to see my smiling face and my beautiful little boy on Facebook. Hmm, maybe having a Facebook page isn’t all that bad…

So have fun on Facebook, but please don’t be mad if I am not congratulating you on your new relationship or that picture of your dog — I’m busy being a mom here (when I’m not blogging).

Update: All my articles now also get posted to my Facebook page, but I still don’t use it that much. Yet as a lot of you might know, I have become completely addicted to Twitter since I wrote this! :)

School Badges February 24, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Don’t like facebook and other social networks. They steal a lot of valuable time

SagePixie August 24, 2009 at 4:20 AM

I’ve always been a “networker” so I love Facebook and Twitter. I actually clicked on this to tease you a bit about the Twitter ;-) but you’ve already caught yourself.

Lisa August 15, 2009 at 10:27 AM

This is late, but I am so there with you on this one! I cannot figure out for the life of me how someone is so busy that they cannot get together for coffee but can spend hours pouring over Facebook! “I’m heading to kick boxing now” I DON’T CARE!! When will this end?? I think in 2 or 3 years everyone will be so over stretched and overconnected and into everyones personal business that there will be a revolt. I’ll be in the front of that line behind you!

Beth March 20, 2009 at 1:45 AM

I am so there with you! As a busy mom I don’t have two hours a day to sit and keep up with people who knew me when I had braces, stonewashed jeans, and ugly glasses. I agree, I have my friends that I keep in touch with, but I have NO desire to be on a social networking site. A few of my friends and brothers just don’t understand why. I have email, I have two phones, and the people I’m friends with know how to reach me. I’m not an ogre, I’m just a private person who doesn’t feel like I need to put every bit of my life out there for long ago aquaintances to know.

My children are gorgeous — but I don’t need to post every picture of them. If I want to share photos, I’ll send a link in a private email. I don’t text and most of the time my cell’s ringer is off. Maybe that’s so Y2K — but, oh well, (ok, I sound like Andy Rooney).

One of my closest and oldest friends is the total opposite. She is obsessed with Facebook and about 3 to 4 times a week she’s calling or emailing sharing some bit of gossip about high school people (it gets old…). Do I care who had an affair or who had “work done” — honestly, no! She’ll say, oh, but it’s so fun just to know what people are doing. I could care less. Mostly it just seems like a gossip circuit (at least for the people I know). I went to college, lived and traveled all over the world, I married and now I have two wonderful children and husband. I don’t feel like I need people to know everything about me via Facebook. Although I could, I don’t feel the need to boast about various parts of my life.

If it serves a purpose for someone, that’s great, but honestly, I think as a society we’ve become way to dependent on the Internet and other technologies to make social connections (ok, more Andy Rooney). I can’t be in a room with two of my brothers unless they are texting. Again, if someone likes a social networking site — great. But I’m not interested. Is email the new rotary phone?

Miss P March 12, 2009 at 2:10 AM

What I find amazing is the friends from high school, who bullied me endlessly creating years of torment, now ‘friend’ me and leave messages saying “hi! I remember you from high school. You were so great! I really hope we can catch up” …. huh? did you forget that you hated me and called me all the names under the sun? So the long and short of it is that all those old people popping up from the woodwork need to stay there!

Firefly March 9, 2009 at 1:48 AM

LOL it’s not just you, I HATE people popping up on Facebook, “Oh, I know you from high school. I know you from here or there!”
You know, if they really were worth knowing and remembering we would be friends even now, they wouldn’t have to search the net or Faceboook to track me down LOL